Don't cross over

Hey guys, I just started a new story on my other account MichaelaXJM that I'm really excited about so I hope you'll check it out :) Here's the prologue:

It all happened so fast, one minute I'm laughing with my best friend, some stupid joke I can't even remember by now, and the next everything goes black before I found myself standing by the side of the road, watching as the firemen lifts my lifeless body out of the wrecked car.

I can't even tell you what happened, I don't remember the seconds before the crash or the ones after, but maybe that's for the best I'm not really keen to relive my own death.

I watch as two other firemen slowly lifts James out and I let out a breath of relief as I realise he is still alive, hurt but alive.

I go to check on the other driver but I barely get a glimpse of the woman before they sip up the bodybag. She didn't make it.

I want to be able to tell you that the crash wasn't my fault, but to be honest, I have no idea. I hope it wasn't my fault, I don't know how I will be able to live with myself if I'm the reason someone else is dead.. well then again, I guess I won't have to live with it after all...

James isn't consious but I follow him to the ambulance that he's carried into, I want to be there when he wakes up.

"Is it okay if I go with him?" I ask the woman by the ambulance but it's like she can't even hear me, in fact, based on the way she looks right through me, she can't see me either.

Well this is going to take some getting used to...

Deciding that since no one can see me, there's no hurt in me going with James so I take a seat next to him.

"You better fight through this, you hear me?" I know he don't but I'm hoping the words somehow will make it through to him, he has to make it through this, he has to survive!

The ambulance is rushed through the busy streets and to the hospital. There, James is rushed to a room filled with doctors, I watch helplessly as they all do everything they can to save my friend.

My heart breaks the second I hear a heartbroken voice call out from the hallway outside this room. "Where is he? Where is my son?" James mother is here. And now I have to watch as they deliver the news on her sons, my best friends, chanses at surviving.

"Mam, the doctors are doing everything they can, trust me your son is in very good hands" a nurse takes it upon herself to calm Mrs. Brown down.

"Please tell me he will make it through, please he's all I have left" she cries.

It's true, James is all that woman has left. After his dad, her husband, died in duty, he was a cop and got shot trying to stop a robbery, James was the only one who she let near.

Having had enough I return to stand by James side. The doctors are still working on him and I convince myself that that's a good sign, at least they haven't given up.

We're in there for another six ours before the doctors are finally pleased by the progress they've made. And I'm pleased to see the movement on the screen keeping track of his heartbeats. He's still alive!

***

I stand by his side all through that week, not once leaving his side.

I watch as his mother cries, pulls it together and tries to convince both herself and her son that everything will be fine, only to cry once again, over and over.

I feel useless, not being able to either help my friend nor comfort his mother. All I can do is watch.

Today is different though, she's dressed up as she enters the room today. She takes a seat next to her son, just as every other day, but something is just different, I can tell.