Sunshine

"I'll strike a deal with you moosie," Gabriel declared, and Sam wasn't sure why his ears kept listening. The archangel had been holed up in the bunker with him, Dean, Jack, and Cas for weeks now, and since the Winchesters had recently caught a case, Gabriel was eager to come along.

That, however, was 100% NOT happening, so Gabe had taken to nagging the boys about the case, about any little detail he could get. Information, of course, was a difficult think to get from the Winchesters, so Gabriel had to get creative.

"If you tell me ONE thing about your case, I will answer any one question you want to ask me," The former Trickster announced. He smirked. "And I mean ANY question." He waggles his eyebrows for emphasis and Sam fought the grin off his own face.

"Alright, fine," He gave in. One little detail wasn't going to kill them, and it would get Gabriel off their backs. Win win. "It's a vamp hunt."

"Oooooo," Gabriel offered. "Okay, your turn. ASK AWAY, SAMSQUATCH!" 

He was expecting a lot of different questions, seeing as he was talking to Sam. Some obscure fact that only an immortal angel would know, maybe. An Archangel only weakness, perhaps? Some more dirt on Lucifer or Chuck? Or maybe he'd want the answer to a math problem, thinking that would torture him. If that was the case, then the joke was on Sam because Gabriel was secretly a giant math nerd. The larger, dirtier minded side of Gabe was excited at the prospect of the question. He could think of no less than eighteen filthy questions he wanted to know the Sam specific answer to.

He was not expecting, though, the question that Sam ultimately asked.

"What's your favorite song?" The moose questioned. Gabriel blinked.

"What?" 

"What's your favorite song?" Sam repeated. "You're an immortal angel. You've heard all music since music was invented. What's your personal favorite? Answer honestly. " He paused. "And DON'T say Heat of the moment."

"It's kinda dumb..." Gabriel admitted, and Sam only smiled. 

"Well now I want to know even more."

"You are my sunshine."

"What?"

"That's my favorite song. You Are My Sunshine. Originally written by Jimmie Davis, 1939." Sam stared at him.

"Seriously?"

"YES, seriously. See? Told you it was dumb."

"It's not dumb," Sam said immediately. "In fact-" He stopped, shaking his head. "No, it's stupid."

"You can tell me."

"Well, it's just... When I was little, Dean always told me that Mom would sing 'Hey Jude' to us, but since Dad banned that song from the Impala, I didn't know what it sounded like, so I always imagined her singing 'You Are My Sunshine' instead. It was kinda comforting." Gabriel smiled softly at him.

"I don't think that's stupid at all." He insisted. "Honestly? It's only my favorite song because the year it came out was the first year Cassie and Samandriel were allowed to go to Earth. I took them myself, and tried to show them all the best things there were because all they heard up in heaven was the bad stuff. Samandriel loved the song. He and Cas used to sing it all the time until...." Gabriel's smile faded. "Well, it's not important, but yeah. That's my favorite song."

"I think it's sweet," Sam offered, grinning at him. Gabriel grinned back.

They never spoke of it again, but from then on, Sam swore that whenever he was feeling especially down or stressed, the song would play. Usually, it would just be softly in his head, or on a speaker in a diner. It played in his dreams, soothing his nightmares. He didn't have to be told that Gabriel was the one doing it. He just knew, and he talked to the angel a bit more in return.

And the music continued to play, until the day an angel blade launched out, white light lit up the room, wings stained the floor, and Sam let out a scream.

And Gabriel died.

Sam went to the body later that night, long after Cas and Dean had gone. He smoothed down the archangel's hair, and didn't care who saw the tears as he started to sing softly, his voice wavering.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

"You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away
I'll always love you and make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me and love another
You'll regret it all some day
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away
You told me once, dear, you really loved me
And no one else could come between
But now you've left me and love another
You have shattered all of my dreams
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away
In all my dreams, dear, you seem to leave me
When I awake my poor heart pains
So when you come back and make me happy
I'll forgive you dear, I'll take all the blame
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away..."