Chilling on the Roof

AU

Sam was a junior in high school, and that meant it was time for him to take the SAT.

AKA, the test that could make or break your future, because if you failed it, then you wouldn't get into college, and if you didn't get into college, then you definitely weren't getting into Law School, and if you didn't get into Law School then you couldn't be a lawyer, and if Sam Winchester didn't get to be a lawyer, then what was the point of ANYTHING?

As you can probably imagine, he was a bit stressed out about the test. So he did the only logical thing he could- lock himself in his room and study. Talk to no one with a lower IQ than himself, just in case.

Dean and his parents understood his method, and they gave him space. Dean just knocked on the door every few hours and left food for him. Sam's friends, however, were not as easily swayed by the idea of him cutting off all contact with them until after the exam.

Gabriel, especially, was NOT happy. 

Gabriel was Sam's best friend, and his- well- Sam didn't know what to call him anymore. They definitely weren't dating. That would be weird, especially since Dean was already dating Gabriel's older brother. But Sam and Gabe weren't just friends either, at least, not in the way that Sam and Charlie were friends. But Gabriel had passionately declared once that labels were boring and rude, so Sam had stopped trying to define their relationship. Gabriel was just his best friend, and they happened to go out on a date and kiss from time to time. 

Maybe that was the definition of Friends With Benefits. Sam wasn't sure.

All he knew was that he desperately needed to study, and GABRIEL would NOT STOP TEXTING HIM. It was a distracting disaster, and the sound of text notifications was really getting on Sam's nerves.

PING!

Sam.

PING!

Sammmmmmyyyyyy

PING!

Samsquatch?

PING!

You bored of studying yet?

PING!

Sammoosie  respooooonnnnnnnnndddddd

PING!

I'm bored.

PING!

You wanna study break? Or maybe we should study together, if you know what I mean ;)

PING!

Or maybe you're dead. You know studying is just the words student dying mashed together, so maybe it finally killed you.

PING!

Sam put his phone on vibrate, refusing to acknowledge Gabe's messages.

BUZZZZ

Sam, you can't ignore me that easily.

BUZZZ

SAMMY I SEEEEEEE YOUUUUU

BUZZZ

Sam.

BUZZ

Sam. Love me.

BUZZZ

Are you REALLY gonna ignore me, c'mon I thought we were lovers!

BUZZZ

Or friends or whatever.

BUZZZ BUZZZ BUZZZZ

The phone was ringing now, and Sam reached over and sent him to voicemail. Not today, Gabriel. He turned his attention back to math problems.

And Gabriel called again.

And again.

BUZZ

I'm at your house.

BUZZZ

I know you're home cause you're stu-DYING, but nobody answered the door.

BUZZZ

SAAAAAAMMMMM IT'S COLD OUT LEMME IN.

BUZZ

Sam.

BUZZZ

SAM.

BUZZZ 

Okay fine, I'll let myself in somehow.

Finally, silence for a few minutes. Sam sighed in relief.

BUZZZ

He spoke too soon.

Look out your window.

BUZZZ BUZZZ BUZZZZZZ

Sam let out a groan and grabbed his phone, intent of shutting the damn thing off so he could study in peace. But then he saw Gabe's last message, and frowned in confusion. He glanced out his window and stopped.

Gabriel was lounging on a lower part of the roof, staring at him. He waved with a smirk and then picked up his phone, calling Sam. This time, the moose dared to pick up.

"How did you even-" Sam started.

"Draw me like one of your French girls," Gabriel purred, his smirk growing. Sam stopped, looking Gabe dead in the eye. His friend winked in response, and Sam's bitchface turned on.

He hung up the phone, looked right at Gabe's hopeful expression, and then closed his curtains.

He put his phone on silent, and went back to work.

He and Gabriel officially became boyfriends a mere ten minutes after Sam aced the SAT.