11. (Part 2)

Lake Charles, Louisiana

The same day...

5:46 p.m.

Jasper Madlock

Jasper Madlock

I walked outside watching him wipe his mouth as he stood in the yard scratching his head. I could tell that his nerves were bad and that he was damn near close to having a panic attack. While I wanted so bad to call him over and put my foot in his ass I couldn't because he genuinely thought that Koren was close to his age. Just from looking at him and listening to him I knew that he was a good kid. In many ways he kind of reminded me of myself back when I was his age. He was 18 and Koren was only 14. Most parents would immediately try to slap a charge on someone that age but I wasn't about to ruin this kid's life. While I didn't want him and Koren together because he was grown I wanted to talk to him and her about this baby situation.

I placed my hand on his shoulder and he jumped turning around. "I didn't know. I didn't know she was 14. And she's pregnant? I was doing good. I can't take that charge. I have a lot—"

"Calm down and take a few deep breaths. When you feel like you've calmed down enough come back inside so I can talk to you both. Understand?" I asked. He nodded and exhaled slowly trying to get control of his nerves. I headed back into the house seeing a nervous Koren picking at her nails. Something she always did when she was extremely nervous. I sat down beside her and clasped my hands together not saying a word.

"Daddy—"

"Don't say anything Koren. Not right now." I told her. There was already so much going on and now I was hearing that she was pregnant. I wasn't happy about the shit. If anything I was disappointed. Disappointed in her but more so disappointed in myself for not being around like I should have. Maybe shit would've been so much more different if I was around more. A lot would've been different.

Chandler walked back into the house and shot Koren a look before he sat down on the opposite couch. He clenched his jaw and I knew he wanted to go off on her but held back because I was here.

"Chandler I'm so sorry." Koren's voice cracked as she apologized. He sucked his teeth looking off to the side as his knee started to bounce.

"Listen son..." I cleared my throat. "I know you're pissed. Believe me I am too." I frowned at Koren before looking back at him. "But what's done is done. I don't know how far along she is but I know an abortion is not an option. She lied and laid down like she was grown and this is the consequences. You hear me Koren?" I looked at her watching her drop her head. "When that baby gets here you're gonna get up with it. You're gonna feed it. You're gonna bathe it. Yeah I'll buy diapers, clothes, and food but all of the hard work? You're gonna be a damn parent and be there for that baby." I told her.