12.

Two weeks later...

Saturday,
September 5, 2026

1:54 p.m.

Persia Madlock

Persia Madlock

I sat on the end of the bed I shared with Jasper listening to the children's laughter coming from the next room as he played with them. It had been nice to have him home the past week but I knew that he would be leaving back out today because he'd gotten information on the man who'd left Kylah for dead. I wanted nothing more than for him to stay here with me because I was used to having him here with me and the kids helping me with them. I was still getting used to being alone with them and trying to trust myself with them. The way I'd snapped on Koren and Kylah had even frightened me because I'd never had to put my hands on a child before. I feared myself for hitting both girls the way I had. I'd never snapped like that before. Ever. It made me question myself. The things Mia had made me do had me questioning how sane I was.

I played with my fingers and closed my eyes thinking back to how it was when Jasper and I had fled. It was a few months after I'd given birth to Jameel.

"Baby...I'm scared." I told him as we lay side by side in the hotel room floor.

"I know." He yawned.

"I don't like that you gave up everything for me. You shouldn't be hiding babe. You should be with your other kids. You should be living in your own home and maintaining a relationship with your friends and family. You did nothing wrong and I hate that you're doing this for me." I told him.

"You're talking nonsense right now." He said tiredly as he closed his eyes.

"No. I'm being honest with you. Just leave Jameel and I here. I'll run. I just want you to get back home and—"

"What's done is done Persia. I faked my death so I can't just go back like nothing ever happened. I got you out of town because I love you and I wanted you and my son safe. I'm not giving up on the ones I left in Louisiana. I'm just looking out for the ones who can't look out for themselves and who needs the most protection right now. I have a plan and I'm gonna stick to it. I'm still gonna be apart of Koren and Kylah's life and see my family and friends. Don't stress baby. I got everything. I got it. I promise."

My eyes watered and before a tear could fall I quickly wiped my eyes when Jasper walked into the room.

"You crying again?"

"No." I lied.

He sucked his teeth and cracked a smile. "C'mere." He held his hand out and I took it as he pulled me to my feet and into a hug. I wrapped my arms tightly around his torso and just held on to him as he kissed the top of my head.

"I wish you didn't have to leave again. You always put my mind at ease when you're here."

"I have to go do what I gotta do for my baby. I know who hurt her now and I'm not gonna sleep until Julian and I put this nigga in the ground." He told me. I looked up at him searching his eyes and I could see just how serious he was about it. "I'll be gone for a few days this time. Not two weeks."