•Chapter One•

The first day that Billy has found lunch that someone had left for him, he was weirded out. Of course, who wouldn't when you wake up from a nap in class and suddenly there is a neatly wrapped sandwich in front of you?

He could immediately tell that it was from a girl. It was neatly wrapped in a red napkin, almost as if it came that way. He knew that his friends, which he didn't even consider friends, wouldn't leave him food and if, it would look like it's been run over three times.

Billy was confused, not only because someone had left him food but that someone had noticed that he didn't eat in school. And he knew that the girls lingering for him and the guys that were with him wouldn't notice such a little detail.

When he picked the sandwich up he noticed a yellow sticky note under it. Unsure he picked it up, reading the neatly words written on it.

"I know it may seem really weird for you to wake up to a sandwich in front of you, unknown from who it is. But I still hope you enjoy it!"

The class was empty, so he let his facade down for a second, a small smile on his face. It made him curious who'd think about him like that.

And when Elena saw his smile through one of the windows that pointed to the field, a smile of her own tugged at her lips.

She knew it wasn't normal to leave food for someone that doesn't know you. But she had always been a generous person, she loved to give and to share. And she always sees him but she never sees him eat, which made her feel a bit bad.

Elena knew what was going on at the Hargrove's household. More unwillingly to be honest. She had a little sister, Emilija, which was in the same grade as Billy's stepsister, Max. And Emilija told Elena what was going on over at their house, which made her feel extremely sorry for them. She knew that Billy had a hard facade and wouldn't let show what his dad did to him, but it was clearly visible on Max.

Max was suffering for Billy, seeing how her stepfather beat up him up everyday, seeing Neil treat her mother bad. The once bubbly girl got distant and more isolated. She seemed more...sad. Not only that, but Billy always tends to get irritated with everything his stepsister did, yelling at her if she did something wrong.

Elena sighed before she went to her car, sitting down on the hood. She unwrapped her own sandwich before she bit into it. She watched the people at her school. And she hated them, almost each and everyone of them.

Back when she used to live in Serbia, it was easier for her. Not only could she properly understand the people but they respected her and treated her well. And since she came to Hawkins Highschool her life has been a living hell. They treated her like she was nothing because she came from another country. Her English wasn't perfect and she had a heavy accent, which of course made her stick out of the crowd of born and raised Americans.

"Hey Elena!" She startled at the redhead which appeared in front of her. Beside her, her little sister and behind them a group of teenagers she has seen but never really met. "Hey." Elena said a little suspicious as she wiped her mouth for crumps. "I wanted to ask if it's okay if Emi could sleep over? We have this huge slumber party and yeah." The redhead asked, a smile occupying her face. Elena noticed that when Max was around her friends she seemed a lot happier than with her brother. "Molim te!" [Please!] Emilija asked, giving Elena a hard time with her puppy dog eyes. "Alright Alright!" Elena gave in, laughing as all of them started making a puppy dog face.

"Max!" All of them startled at the harsh sound of Billy's voice echoing through the parking lot of the school. The blonde made his way over to the group, a crumpled red napkin in his hand. Elena hid her grin with biting into her own sandwich. "Fuck off Sinclair." He grumbled as he looked at the boy and he hurried away with his friends, leaving Max, Emilija and a girl Elena wasn't familiar with alone with Elena and Max' brother.

Billy scoffed while looking the slightly younger girl up and down before he turned around and left. "Your brother isn't very fond of the idea, I'm assuming?" Elena asked as her eyes followed the silhouette of the Californian boy. "No..." Max said, sighing. "You'll just sleep at our place." The oldest one said, before she winked to Max. "Thank you!" Max grinned before she and Elena embraced her in a hug, making her laugh before they ran to their friends.

Elena sighed audibly before she leaned back onto the hood of her car. How the hell is she supposed to tell that her dad? She muttered some curse words under her breath, before she roamed through her pocket pulling out a pack of cigarettes, lighting on up and inhaling the killing smoke.

"That's gonna be fun." She muttered to herself as she sighed quietly, already bracing herself.

————
E D I T E D