•Chapter Five•

The next day Billy woke up, once again with a sandwich. He heard the door close and his eyes immediately went over to the door. He almost jumped out of his seat, looking into the hallway but it was completely empty.

"Fuck." He muttered as he sat down onto the table and looked at the sandwich, he took it into his hands, seeing another note under it.

He unfolded it like the countless time he had done this before.

"I'm sorry."

He was more than confused. Why would they say they're sorry? He hadn't had a fight with someone or something so he wouldn't know why someone would apologize.

This way of thinking gave him a headache and he just started to eat the sandwich.

Elena knew why she was apologizing. She knew the reason damn well and it wasn't only because he had punched him in the face the previous day. And she also wasn't apologizing that he had seen what actually was going on.

"Morning." Jonathan muttered as he hopped onto the hood of her Chevrolet. "Hey." She muttered almost inaudible. She wasn't hungry even though it was lunch and the last thing she ate was eggos yesterday night. "What happened to you?" He asked almost casually.

Her face seemed to be even more bruised then it was when Tommy beat her up. And that was the reason why she was apologizing to Billy. Because she knew that now Billy and her have kind of bonded over something so similar. And now she had to give him the cold shoulder and ignore him, which hurt her in some way too.

"Bar fight." Elena seemed to use that excuse all the time. "On a Monday?" "Yeah, why not." She shrugged as she looked at the guy beside her. He was definitely something else. Not necessarily in a bad way, but he was different.

He let the topic go, which she thought was amazing. Honestly, alls these questions that Nancy and Steve were asking irritated her.

They tend to put their noses where they don't fucking belong all the fucking time.

"What happened to you?" She turned her head to look at the group of teenagers. "Bar fight." "On a Monday?" Dustin asked suspiciously. "Yes, happens." She shrugged and she knew those kids didn't believe shit she had just said. And her sister knew the truth of what happened.

"So what do you guys want?" She asked, raising an eyebrow at them. "We wanted to go swimming today because it's pretty warm and we wanted to ask you if you could give us a ride?" Emilija asked. "Sure." She nodded. "Maybe I'll sunbathe, I got pretty pale." She muttered more to herself than the kids. "I'll pick you guys up from your homes, I guess Emilija knows where you guys live." All of them nodded excited before leaving her with Jonathan once again.

Not too soon Nancy came around, hugging her boyfriend while Steve stood beside me. "Zaradov." He said now grinning, making Elena laugh. He couldn't talk Serbian if his life depended on it. "It's still Zdravo." "Shit, at least I tried." He grinned.

Just a few hours later Elena was seated on the grass beside the lake in her bikini while the children went swimming. Beside her Nancy, Jonathan and Steve. When exactly they all decided to be friends? No idea.

She looked at the dock that was on the lake and the blurred memory of Billy and her drinking here came back to her mind.

"Hey." "Oh moj bože!" [Oh my god!] Elena said loudly while flinching as Billy sat down beside her on the dirty ground, while she was placed on a towel. "What's up with you today? You've been acting kinda weird." He said lighting up a cigarette and giving it to her. "Your dad?" He asked quietly as he looked at her face. "I don't wanna talk about it." She said, rather rudely which took Billy by surprise. "But you know you can talk to me, right?"

God she needed him off of her. She couldn't be seen with a boy, especially not Billy. Her dad went yesterday bat shit crazy on her just because he confused the word 'friend' with 'boyfriend' and basically beat the living shit out of her.

"Billy sweetie, get one thing straight. Just because your dad abuses you and my dad abuses me doesn't mean that we're best friends now. It doesn't mean that we hang out now and talk about how bad our dad's are. It doesn't mean that we have anything going on between us. Understand, Hargrove?"

Fucking hell Elena hurt it to say those words. It stung her even more when she saw Billy's face, just for a moment he saw the pain in his eyes. The disappointment. And then it changed to anger. And then he went emotionless.

He only stood up and left. He didn't say a word. And Elena wished that he would've screamed at him. Even hit her. Just anything but silence.

Her fist repeatedly hit the ground, her knuckles ripping open with the wood on the ground. "Fuck. Fuck. Fuck."