•Chapter Nineteen•

"Today's our anniversary, one year, baby!" Elena grinned at her friends who were all seated in her living room. "And you're still going strong." Nancy said, and impressed look on her face. "The fuck did you think, Wheeler?" Elena laughed as she shoved her best friend.

Nancy and Elena grew extremely close over the year, especially after Elena got into a fist fight with a guy that wouldn't take no for an answer. Steve and Elena were like brother and sister, they supported each other even though they were extreme opposites. And Jonathan, well, she grew close with him too. Even though he still was a bit weird to be around, but he saw her as a part of his family and she did the same. And especially after they found their shared passion, photography.

And she didn't only grew close with the people her age range, but also with the kids. Steve was like a mom to them and Elena was the drunk aunt everybody loved and got gifts from. Lucas and Max were the cutest couple, from her point of view. Billy was still a little on the edge because hey, it's his sister and he doesn't want her to get hurt. Between Mike and El it's been complicated but she showed them their love separately. Even though she sometimes got the urge to smack the curly haired boy upside down the back of his head. Dustin, god Dustin. She could talk about that child every day and sometimes Billy honestly thought that she loved that kid more than she does her boyfriend. And Will, Will was her soft little gay bean she supported through and through. And of course, let's not forget Emilija. Emilija was of course her most important one of them all. They weren't as close as they used to be but Elena understood. Emilija has a boyfriend and lovely friends and doesn't have the time for her sister. But she loved her anyway.

"Where's your mind at?" Steve asked, sipping on his wine glass. "It's 10 in the morning." "Well, it's always a happy hour somewhere." "Maybe you have an alcohol problem."

"What do you think Billy's going to do?" Jonathan asked, genuinely curious because he couldn't imagine the bad boy being romantic. "I don't know, but I know what I've got planned." Elena grinned. "Oh, you've got something planned! Tell us!" Nancy said, scooting closer to the laughing girl that sat beside her. "Well, I bought him roses, he always gets so flustered when I give them to him, and I've bought a bunch of alcohol because we need to celebrate and of course I cooked." She smiled at them. "He's the man, he should do this." Nancy said, tilting her head. "He's working today so I kinda felt bad I guess. But I hope we have more years so we can switch it up." She smiled, stealing a sip from Steve's glass.

"Is this okay?" Elena asked, turning to Nancy who stood beside her. "You look amazing!" Her best friend beamed with proudness as she looked at the girl. Her hair was curled, she had light makeup with a red lipstick, a black croptop and a light blue washed jeans.

They both froze when they heard the door close. "Get out!" Elena said, laughing a bit as Nancy struggles to get through the window. Thank god they had a one floor house.

"Baby." Elena grinned, stretching the y as she walked up to her boyfriend. She threw her arms around his neck kissing him. "Hey. What's all that for?" Billy asked, fake confusion on his face.

He knew exactly that it was their anniversary but he had planned something, even though he knew that he'd have to get Elena mad for it first.

"It's our anniversary, remember?" Elena said, a little sting in her chest and he could see her expression fall. And it hurt him too because he could see how much effort she put in all of this. "Ah, Yeah! I knew I forgot something." He said casually as he let go of her, putting his bag on the ground walking past her into the kitchen.

Of course it hurt Elena's feelings. A lot. She thought he'd remember or at least apologize for forgetting. But he seemed like he didn't care at all.

"Thanks babe." He muttered, walking past her with his plate and the bottle of very expensive Whiskey she had bought. He sat down onto the couch.

"Please tell me you aren't serious right now." She said, her voice layered with anger but mostly sadness. "What do you mean?" He asked, his mouth full as he turned the tv on.

"It's our one year anniversary and you're behaving like this? Babe, I did this for you because I love you and you act like it's worth nothing." She was hurt. More than hurt. Billy just shrugged as he turned his head back to the TV.

"You know what, enjoy your food alone. I'm going to Steve's. You're such a piece of shit right now!" Elena was hurt and frustrated. She couldn't believe that this was Billy.

Billy was caring and loving and appreciative. And now he decides to act like this, especially on their anniversary day.

She had tears in her eyes as she put on a coat and took her car keys off the wall hook. She opened the door and slammed it behind her.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Now she was confused. More than confused. Her friends were all standing in front of her, even the kids and even Hopper and Joyce who smiled.

They all looked behind her and now she turned around too, Billy standing behind her.

"Babe, do you remember that night when we went to the drive in cinema, which ended quite bad? And when we went to the diner to grab some food.

The way we danced in this diner, the old woman staring at us as if we were crazy and we made the trucker leave because apparently we annoyed him and the waitress that was more than jealous?

That was the moment I knew I fell in love with you, the way you'd hold me and just look at me, the way you sang the lyrics to 'I can't help falling in love with you' — and god we were so happy at that moment.

Like we had no problems in life and you made me feel something for the first time in years. You were beaming with happiness and it's addicting. You made me so incredibly happy despite what was happening at home.

And then, on your 18th birthday when I took you to the fair and they were all so jealous. And you were so happy when I got you that stuffed animal you still sleep with every night that I work. And your smile was so bright.

And from that moment on, I knew that I wanted to be the reason that smile is on your lips and I wanna be the one making you this happy.

You, Elena. You made me the way I am right now. You showed me how to be good, kind and love everybody. You showed me I didn't have to be the bad boy I was pressured into being. You showed me how to love with passion and you showed me that it is okay to be me.

And I thought for a long time that I didn't deserve you. You were so pure, so happy, just being the light in a dark tunnel. And I, I was the boy that never would've imagined being with someone like you, that never would've thought he'd end up anywhere. But you showed me differently.

You love me with every ounce of love that you got, you got me away from my father, you saved me and my sister. You gave me a home that I needed, you gave me a house where I was safe, where I was allowed to be who I am.

You're the best thing that has ever happened to me and you'll always be. You make me the happiest I've ever been for a year now and I know this might be insanity but that's okay, because I am so damn crazy for you. And that's why I wanted to ask you-"

The tears had been flowing on both sides for a long time now, but she couldn't help but sob and laugh at the same time as she saw how Billy got on one knee. His hands were shaking as he held the box, looking up at her with hopeful eyes.

"Elena Marija Pedrović, will you be my wife?"

Elena nodded like crazy, saying yes over and over again, her sight blurry as she hugged her stupid boyfriend—fiancé and kissed him. Behind them they were cheering, clapping and she was pretty sure that she had hear Steve bawling his eyes out.

"Thank god, I had to convince Joyce and Hopper for 2 straight months for their blessing since you're practically their third child." Billy laughed, wiping her tears away with his thumb. "God, I love you so much you beautiful asshole." Elena laughed, wiping his tears away. "I love you too, idiot." He chuckled as he kissed her once again.

And both of them knew they wouldn't regret it. Both of them knew that they're made for each other. And they knew for a fact that they would never regret this, they would never regret Billy proposing or Elena saying yes.