Nick Spent

One night, Peter was out on a delivery, in a bar, to be specific. When the deal was over, Peter sat down at the bar. He didn't intend on getting anything, since he was underage, but he did run into someone.

"Hey. My names Nick, Nick Spent- and your the ghost in black." A boy about the same age as peter sat down next to him.

"Listen I don't want to join your gang. I run solo."

Nick snorted, " You don't even want to run at all."
Peter looked up at Nick, " What do you mean?"

"Abusive relationship, black mail, threatening, I've seen it all first hand. You're to young to do this as your own thing. Your being forced to do this."

Peter was shocked. Obviously Nick had the same story.

"So what's your reason Eli Black?"

Peter didn't say anything for a second. But he trusted this kid. His spider sense wasn't going off- it had cooled down a bit actually. His voice had become drained and lifeless when he was on the job.

"In and out of Foster homes. One day, i went into a foster home and the guy told me to start working or he'd kill me- so I did. You?"

Nick nodded, seemingly unfazed by Peters story.

"Live with my uncle. He's a drunk. Always unstable. Tells me to go out sell things for him so he can get more money. Sometimes tells me to fight people he owes. Not the... best relationship." Peter nodded, "You think you could ever get out?"

Nick shrugged, " I don't know. I hope so. Someday child services will probably find out. My uncle is too reckless to go unnoticed."

Peter nodded, " I hope you get out. I don't know how long my 'foster parent'," He air quoted, "is going to want me. Hopefully he'll just let me go when he's done with me."

Both boys were quiet for a second. They both knew deep down that Peters situation wasn't going to end well. If Mr. Johnson was being so abusive, bringing him into illegal activity, he would probably kill Peter, so that Peter wouldn't go to the police.

"Listen, people like us- who don't want to do this, need to stick up for each other. We need a code, for any other kids we meet with a similar story." Nick said. It was smart. If there was ever a desperate situation, Peter needed backup.

"Yeah, but what's the code going to be?"

"Um... silver crow. And you say in return, I am the crow."

"Why silver crow?" Peter said confused.

Nick shrugged, " It sounds cool."

Peter nodded, "Yeah it does."

They talked for a while more. It felt nice to talk to someone who was going through the same thing. No offense to Ned or MJ, but they didn't even know what was going on. It was nice to have a friend in such a cold environment.

After a while Peter thought back to Mr. Johnson.

"Oh no." Peter said.

"What?"

"My foster Parent is probably waiting. He doesn't like it when I'm late. Like, he really doesn't like it."

Nick seemed to understand what Peter meant, " Aw man I shouldn't have kept you for so long. You better go- but Eli? If you ever want to hang out I'm down here often. And don't forget the code."

Peter nodded, "Yep, good luck with your uncle, I'll see ya!" Peter ran off back towards the house as fast as he could. His heart was racing. He really didn't want to get beat again. He had already been beat once that week for coming home late again.

Mr. Johnson was waiting as usual. "What took you so long? You were gone an hour longer than you were supposed to."

Peter thought quick, " Uh, the guy d-didn't show up for a while. But it all went through fine! I'm sorry."

Mr. Johnson just shook his head, "Say it."

Peter shuddered, but complied, " I owe my life to Mr. Johnson. He has been so kind to me. I am not worth anyone's love."
He was starting to believe it was true. Maybe he was worthless. That's what everyone said.