27

I took Hadley home after her mini breakdown, I know she hates missing school, but today is a mental health day for her. She needs it.

Once we got outside the store with her place upstairs. I held her hand as I walked her though the maze of isles to get to the door that lead upstairs. Her dad wasn't working so I could only assume he was upstairs. Poor guy. I wish I had known. Must have happened really recently considering I was talking to him only a few days ago, fully in tact.

We walk up the stairs and I open her door, her dad is on the couch with his leg up, reading a book. When we enter his eyes look at Hadley, filled with worry. The red in her eyes has gone down a significant amount through it's still pretty obvious that she's been crying. He looks at me confused, as though he's trying to decide if he should be angular me or thankful.

"Hardly is everything alright? Why aren't you at school." Her dad asks placing a bookmark in his spot and closing his book.

"I uh.... I needed a break for an afternoon." She says, she sounds exhausted.

"Of course, get some water and rest in the room. Gotta take care of yourself too Hadley." He dad Hines his genuine smile.

She nods her head, then lets go of my hand and walks over to her cupboard taking out a glass for water. She looks at the fridge and just sighs.

"What is it?" I asks quietly walking over to her.

She's shaking her head and almost laughing. "Dustin I can't just not do what needs to be done, it has to be done."

"Hadley..."

"No dustin, I have to go to the store and get food, I have some laundry to do, dishes, I need to pick up Oliver and help him with his homework, I have to do my own homework, that I left at school. "

"What's your locker combination?" I ask her

"Huh?"

"Combination," I say over pronouncing it. "I can go pick it up or I'll text Jess. I'll pick up Oliver, and give me a list, I can go shopping." I tell her.

"Dustin." I cut her off before she can even deny my help.

"Hadley's you're going to work yourself to both mental and physical exhaustion. Stay here, take a nap or something. Don't lay a finger on any Landry, or cleaning if any sort. I'll do it after I get back okay?" She starts to open her mouth to argue but I raise my finger. "Hadley!" I scold.

"Fine." She pouts, though I can see her relief form not having to do anything.

"Uh I'll have to borrow your car though, my mom took mine today." I smile to her. She rolls her eyes playfully at me and nods her head.

She writes her combo down on my hand with a pen then I start to head out the door when she adds something," Dustin?"

"Yeah?" I ask as I open the door to leave.

"Thank you." I catch the genuine feel from those words. I nod my head at her and start to head out the door. "And bring her back in one pice fox!" I catch just before I close the door.

Her use of the nickname fox brings heat to my chest, she haven't called me that since we broke up and honestly, I missed it a lot.

I climb into her car and hit the engine. First stop, the school. It's lunch now so I can go in get her stuff and get out. Before I pull out of the spot I give Jess a call.

"What do you want?" She snarled through the phone.

"Hi Jess, I'm good thanks for asking."

I can practically see her rolling her eyes."seriously Dustin what do you want? And the hell are you it's lunch and I was going to sit with you guys today and a certain you is absent."