Epiloge

Time is an interesting concept. Some days a second can last an eternity, others an hour can feel like barely a second. It's like the idea and belief that time flies when you're having fun. However I have found that some of the best moments, those moments that you're heart beats out of your chest you're so happy, your cheeks hurt because you can't stop smiling, can last forever, even once the moment ends the feelings linger. However the same rule applies for the unpleasant times life has to offer. Though I find that the unpleasant moments last under a matter of seconds. When something bad happens it goes fast, it's the after shock that lasts really.

Time speeds have varied the past while. A few weeks felt like a day at first, then the next few weeks felt like years. Not that I'm really complaining. Gives life some flavour. I've had ups and downs, but life always seems to work itself out somehow.

* * *

Gizmo rubbed against my leg as I fixed my shirt. I want to look my best tonight. I never though I would be the kind of guy to get all sentimental and excited for prom. I always thought it was overrated. Getting all dressed up to spend a fancy night out. Spending thousands on a fancy suits and dresses, the limo ride, it's all just so much.

Then again you're also paying for the experience. And of course my parents, more so my mother, insisted that I go, in her words "money is no object". She said go and have a good time. Not to mention the pressure from everyone else. It's senior year, this could potentially be the last time we are all together, though I don't believe that. I hang with the group regularly even outside of school. But they have a point, it is the last school event we will all attend together, plus when's the next time we can dress up and have a good time?

"Dustin are you ready yet?" I hear my mother call.

"Yeah I'll be down in a second." I grab my phone stuffing it into my pocket and heading to the living room where my mother sits beside my father.

"You look so handsome." She says sanding up and fixing my tie.

"Thank you mom." My Dad stands up and takes out his phone.

"Honey stand beside Dustin and I'll take a picture." She does just that.

We take a few more pictures before I head out the door, but I don't leave before my mother reminds me to bring the corsage that matches my tie,it's a light yellow.

I head out to the limo that's waiting outside my house, inside already sits Jess, Eric and Alisha. I slide in beside Alisha.

"You look nice Dustin, clean up really nice." She said giving me her gentle smile.

"Yeah, you don't look bad Dustin, not as handsome as Eric of course but pretty nice. "

"Well thank you both. You both look exquisite." I say deciding against beautiful. I am now a high school graduate and exquisite is more formal, and professional.

I take the corsage and show it to Alisha. "It's beautiful Dustin." She said

"I hoped so, you and Jess would know better then me."

"Onward!" Jessica yells "the faster we pick up the other two the faster we'll get to the best night of our lives!" She's excitedly giddy. She's been waiting for this night since I've known her. She's one of those girls that dreams of prom and her wedding day. She's such a suck for these emotional events.

We pull up to Jason's. He's outside and slipping in on the other side of Alisha. "Looking good." He says causing her to blush. The two of them really do make a great couple.

Jason and Alisha, Jessica and Eric. Two of the best couples I've even met. They almost seem like the couples that every person fantasies about. Even I've dreamed of having a relationship like that, then again. My relationship is on a whole other level.

"You excited Dustin, one more stop?" Alisha asks from beside me. Her hand held in Jason's. Gotta say I'm proud of him for committing.

"A little nervous actually" I admit. I don't even know why.

"You guys did coordinate outfits right?" Jessica asks me. "That's the only reason to be nervous."

"I haven't seen her dress, but she informed me that it was a pastel yellow colour."

"Then you're fine." She relaxes, fixing her own corsage that matched the red of Eric's bow tie. "Smart girl not showing you her dress, then she can get  you're reaction when she really wants it." She lets out a loud sigh. "I made the mistake of showing Eric, by the time tonight rolled round he used up all the compliments. All I got was nice hair."

"Oh babe, you know you're the apple of my eye." Eric pampers.

Jess playfully rolls her eyes and hits Eric on the shoulder. "Sure." She looks back at me. "Just plan something nice to say, flatter her."

I planed to. We pull up to her place. I get out. Instead of her coming down I was going up. I know her dad would want a memory of the night, most likely a picture. He always wants to have photo evidence that she had a good time while she was in her teen years.

I enter the building and treat up the stairs. My hands get a little sweaty, I wipe my hands off on my pants. I can't figure out why I'm so nervous, we've been going out for a while. Her dad likes me, so does her brother.

I get to the door and knock on it, then I wait. The door opens to reveal her Dad.

"Evening Dustin. She's almost ready."

I walk into the living room. I'm there only a minute before she's out. Her dress is beautiful, just as she said a pastel yellow, lace on the top with some sheer fabric, a cut slip along her right leg side.

"Oh doll, you're absolutely gorgeous!" I can't wipe the smile off my face she looks so beautiful. This yellow looks good on her. She's got her hair done up in a lightly curled ponytail with a few loose strands framing her face.

"Oh, you don't look to shabby yourself fox." She said a blush speeding across her cheeks and bridge of her nose.

"Alright, I know you two want to get a move on so I'll just take a quick picture if you don't mind." Hadley's Dad asked.

We set up the perfect shot, I put the corsage on Hadley's wrist then wrap my arm around her waist. The picture is great. One that I will definitely put up in any dorm or office.

                  *               *              *

A slow song starts to play over the speakers. I bow to Hadley. "If I may have this last dance?" I ask putting my hand out for her to take

She lets out a soft laugh, taking my hand allowing me to lead her to the dance floor.  In no time were swiftly moving with each other, close enough that if it were not for the music, I would be able to hear her heartbeat.

"Hadley?"

"Yeah?" She responds looking up to meet my eyes.

"I know it's like supper cliche but you're honestly the best thing to happen to me since forever. I'm so glad I knocked you over that day in the hall."

She lets out a laugh and shakes her head lightly. "Lucky for you I'm a big fan of cliches, so long as they are nice ones." I can tell in her eyes she wants to say so much. " though I must say I could think of better ways to meet."

"Oh you don't like me crashing into you?" I laugh.

"Oh stop." Her hands move from around my neck to hold my face. I pull her in a little closer. " To future adventures."

"Together?" I ask letting my face drift closer to hers, close enough to feel her breath.

"Together." She says.

She closes the space between us kissing me ever so gently but with the touch of an angel it's all I'll ever really need.

I might be a rich kid but there is nothing worth more then my doll, my everything,my Hadley. She's really captured my heart. And I couldn't be happier.