30

I wake up and notice the tv is still on, it's still dark so I check my side table clock. It reads 3:47, almost 4 in the morning. Hadley is softly sleeping on my chest my one arm already around her. With my other hand I reach for the remote and turn off the tv. Hadley stirs in my arm. I wrap my other arm around her loosely.

"What time is it?" She whispers. I woke her up.

"Early, sorry I woke you." I whisper back, now adjusting myself into a more comfortable place.

"It's okay." She sounds still completely asleep.

I kiss the top of her head as she snuggles into me more. "Go back to sleep."

"Okay." She says very lightly.

I could do this all the time. Waking up in the middle of the night and seeing Hadley's face restfully sleeping.

"Dustin?" She whispers once again.

"Mmhum?"

"I'm sorry for being so uptight." She says

"Hey it's okay, you just got to learn to live a little. I'll help you out, don't worry."

"You know what I love about you Dustin?" She asks finally turning her head to look at me. Her hair is a little messy and her eyes look tired yet fully aware.

I run my fingers through her hair to tame it a little. "How great I am, plus I'm pretty hot." I smile at her.

She laughs and hits me lightly moving to sit cross legged facing me. "Yes, but I love how alive you make me feel."

"You know, I really love how you enjoy the simple things. You and your family make everyday things seem like the best of things."

"I try my best." She smiles.

"Now can you come her and we can go back to sleep. I sleep better with you." I say to her.

She lays back down and we fix ourselves to the same spots we were in before. Hadley brings the blanket up to her as close as she can.

"I love you doll."

"I love you Fox."

              *                    *                  *
I managed to get out of the bed without waking up Hadley. I slip out of my room and to the kitchen. I figure why not continue her perfect yesterday into a perfect today too. So I'm going to make her breakfast in bed. When I get into the kitchen my mom is already siting at the island coffee mug in hand. She always was an early riser.

"Good morning sweetie." She says when she sees me.

"Good morning Mom." I reply, kissing her on the cheek. "Have a good night out with dad?"

"It was a nice break from all the work we do." She smiles finishing up her cup of coffee. "Good night with Hadley?"

"Oh yeah, I'm glad you made me go to school. I would have still been moping around." She gives me that' I told you so' look. I open the fridge grabbing a few eggs, cracking and beating them. Pouring the into a heated pan I make some scrambled eggs.

"Dustin?" My Mom says from behind me, I turn to her after I've put some slices of bread in the toaster. "Is Hadley still here?" She asks, eyebrow raised.

"Uh... yeah. We put a movie on and just kinda feel asleep." I finish scrambling the eggs and putting half onto a plate. The toast pops.

"Dustin.." she says, I know what she's thinking.

"That's all that happened Mom, I promise." I butter the toast, cut them into triangles and put two on the plate. I grab a fork and put it on the plate as well as pour a cup of coffee. I rest against the counter and eat some of the leftover eggs and a slice of toast before I gather the plate and mug to bring up to Hadley.