17

The clash of hospital equipments and never ending beeping of machines woke Khalid up. He realised it was 7am and he hadn't prayed subhi. Asiya was still not awake. He rushed out and performed ablution, there
was a tap outside. He got a musallah from the car and prayed near it.

He prayed to Allah to grant his wife shifa and for her not to undergo such suffering again. Just as he finished praying, he got a call from the office.

"Hello, Mark?"

"Morning sir."

"Morning how're you?"

"Fine sir. Sir the investors are coming in today and you're to meet them today,"

"Ohh i completely forgot. Erhm just postpone it please,"

"Sorry sir, immediately they're done here they'll be flying to Moscow and won't come back, only send a representative for follow-up."

"Okay then I'll be there," Khalid hang up and went back to Asiya's room. He then realised he hadn't even informed anyone at home, he decided not to tell them in order not to worry anyone, as it is, the wedding was just over. When the doctor went into the room.

"Oh good morning doctor,"

"Morning Khalid, she's still not up yet?"

"No sir,"

"Have you informed your family?"

"No, i really don't want to worry them. I can handle it all,"

"As you wish,''

"I have to rush to the office now sir. Please make sure she's fine,"

He thanked the doctor and went home, he took his bath, got ready and drove out. On his way to work he was thinking of who would've swapped Asiya's medications.

I make sure to give her these medications myself, how come all of a sudden, she falls sick from them? Maybe the symptoms started showing from the fever she had the other day. Is it possible that Hafsah is behind this? But Asiya didn't mention her presence at the wedding. Could it be Safiya or mummy? Whoever it is, i must make them pay.

He arrived at the office at 9:10. The investors were waiting for about ten minutes already. Immediately he entered, he answered greetings from all his employers and took the elevator to his office. He took his files and headed to the board meeting room right next to his office.

"So sorry I'm late, my wife has been in hospital. Good morning to you all," he said as he walked in.

They replied and the meeting started. Series of presentations took place and by around 12pm, the meeting was over.

------

The doctor had just finished examining Asiya who had woken up just few minutes ago.

"Doctor...ahh...where's...,"she spoke in a very faint voice and couldn't complete her questions.

"He had to rush to the office. I guess something came up." The doctor replied.

She simply replied by shutting her eyes and opening them as it was hard for her to talk.

"Do you remember misplacing your medications or anyone doing something fishy towards your medications?" The doctor asked her as he sat on the stool next to bed.

"I'll think," she said calmly.

She thought for quite some minutes and finally turned towards the doctor.

"I remember a lady...she...she..."

"It's okay...stay calm,"

"I'd just woken up when a lady said that my mother in law summoned me...and..." she paused for a while trying to get a grip on her self.