Chapter 8: Homecoming

Devin's POV

The days have gone by and things have gotten better

The days have gone by and things have gotten better. Devina hasn't fully woken up but every once in a while, she'll open her eyes and look around for a quick second. I know she knows we're here but I just wish she was fully here with us. I miss my sister and it's killing me knowing that there's nothing other than talking to her at her bedside to help her get through this. Matteo hasn't left her side except to eat, shower and change his clothes. I'm not sure how he's getting away with not working directly with his partners; that was no concern of mine, so long cared about her well being.

"How's she doing today?"

"Oh hey Devin. She's opened her eyes more. Her doctor said she should be waking in the next few days."

"Good. Hey why don't you go home and take a nap or something?"

"No, I took one already. I don't want to miss her if she wakes up."

"Alright then."

I took my usual seat on the right side of her bed and held her hand in mine. She knew whenever I was here, when I'd grab her hand and she'd hold tight as long as she could before relaxing. For the last few days, it's just been the three of us, and occasionally Mira would stop by and bring us something to eat, so we didn't have to eat the bland hospital food. For what it's worth, everything was good. I knew my sister would come back to me, she has someone besides me who truly cares for her and hasn't left her bedside.

I placed another kiss on her hand and the machines she was hooked up to started going off and I went into a panic. Matteo ran out to get a nurse and I didn't let her hand go. I couldn't let her go.

"Dev please don't do this, you fight! Please fight!"

"Mr. Chase, I need you step back please."

I walked over and stood next to Matteo and he was watching them as closely as I was. I couldn't really see much of what they were doing back one of the nurses ran in the room with something in her hand and they continued whatever it was they were doing. After about five minutes we heard a deep gasp and a round of coughs, and the nurses stepped away from Devina's bed.

"Breathe, breathe you're alright." The doctor says as he takes a step back.

"Devina?!" I say as I walk over to her bed.

"Oh my god, Devina!"

"I'll give you all a moment alone."

Devina was sitting up and trying to catch her breath. Seeing my sisters eyes was the biggest sense of relief I've felt in a long time. I walked over to her bed and gave her a hug and I didn't want to let her go. The fear of losing her has always been something that scared me, but being this close was terrifying.

"Devin." She says through her tears as I hug her.

"Jesus Dev, please don't ever give me a scare like that ever again."