Chapter 12: Home Is With You

Baglioni Hotel

A few days turned into a week, and a week turned into three. Honestly, I shouldn't have been gone this long but this vacation has never made me feel so relaxed. Everything I needed to take care of for work I've been able to complete when needed. I let my assistant take control and gave her full faith she would keep things in order and she has. Everything back home is in order and I've barely needed to do any of the work myself. Matteo however, had to go back home and I just wasn't ready to leave yet. Some time alone has really helped me but I was really missing him; so I video called him before my massage.

"Good morning my love."

"Hi, my beautiful baby mama." God he looked like a million bucks as always.

"Baby mama?!" I cringed at the sound of this nickname. I know it's just to be cute and funny but really? Yuck.

"Yes, you're the mother of my son, Dev. You'll always be my baby mama." He gives me a wink and that smile of his? Still, as irresistible as the first time he shot me a smile.

"Ok, you got me there. So what are you up to?"

"Just about to head to bed. I have a business meeting in New York on Friday so I'm flying out tomorrow morning."

"Closing more deals I see?"

"And leaving a legacy for my son in the process." I smiled at the thought. All Matteo can talk about is how excited he is to be a father and raise our children together. As happy as it makes me hear it come from him, and see that happiness in his eyes, I'm afraid.

The future holds so much unknown and I thought everything was so clear just five years ago. Looking back, the signs were there I just didn't pay attention or maybe even ignored them. I thought my life was too perfect to have any problems it had. My life now? I keep thinking the same thing, "it's too good to be true."

"Baby?" He says loudly.

"Huh, yeah?"

"You spacing out?"

"Yeah, thinking as usual."

"Anything you want to talk to me about?"

"No, but I'll be home by the end of the weekend. I miss my home and my bed. And someone."

"Someone huh? Does this someone have a name"

"Ehh, I- I can't remember. Ugh, what was it... Marcus?" He scowled as I tried not to laugh, "oh, that's right... Matthew!"

"Matthew huh?"

"Matthew Reign or something like that."

"You sure it isn't Matteo Ryann?"

"Yes! That was his name!" I giggled, trying my best not to laugh too hard. Matteo wasn't mad or upset, he always plays along with these things, but today he was short. I could hear talking and movement in the background so I knew this conversation was about to end.

"I gotta go baby. This meeting is about to start so I will speak to you in a few hours."

"Ok, I love you and try not to take anyone's head off today. Please."

"I will try just for you baby, give my boy a kiss for me." With that, he hung up and I walked to the closet to grab a pair of comfortable clothes. I had a date with the masseuse in the spa and I was ready for this massage.

I made my way into the lobby and the atmosphere seemed... different. Everyone was running around moving things around, the hotel manager was shouting directions at the employees and even the other guests looked confused. Not wanting to get in the way, I hurried myself to the hall that leads to the spa and checked in. Again, not sure what was going on, even the spa receptionist seemed off.