Natsume and Mike

Hello peeps~ Yeah, I'm pretty sure y'all thought this story had been discontinued as I haven't updated it in so long but surprise surprise it's an update after a million light years have passed bwuahaha not sure if y'all like it but hope it's okay!
*************************************************************

Time seemed to have stalled as everyone stared frozen in the spot as the beast of a guard dog towered over the flame Alice user, its drool pooling at its paws. Natsume himself was in shock.

So this was what devoured the people that have ever tried to break into Kukuroo Mountain.

This was what rendered rouges into mere skeletons in a blink of an eye.

It’s beady, black eyes bore into Natsume’s ruby ones. But strangely enough, all of a sudden, any traces of doubt and fear had vanished. In an instant, Natsume saw it—Natsume understood. Mike….. It had been brought up to be a machine with no emotions of its own, existing only to carry out its duty bestowed upon by its master—to be forever loyal to their commands.

For a moment, it was just Natsume and the beast. Everything in his surroundings seemed to have faded into black. The beast leaned forward and gave him a sniff. He flinched unintentionally but calmed himself. Natsume didn’t know why but something told him that the beast wouldn’t attack him…

FLASHBACK

“Natsume, it is time for your next mission,” Persona stated. Natsume tched. Once again, he was going to be used as a dog for the academy, huh? He glared long and hard at the ground  beneath his feet.

Hearing no response from the boy, Persona sighed.

“You do know what happens if you don’t do you mission, right?” Persona prompted. Natsume narrowed his eyes response. Of course, he knew. The academy was a bunch of bastards using students from the Dangerous Ability Class like pawns to their own advantage. Disobeying meant that they would be of no use and the academy would need to look somewhere else to find soldiers to fill their place.

Mikan and the others would be in danger…

“Wear this. You should never show any emotions in face of your enemy,” Persona suggested handing him his cat mask. The mask that remained his only company during tough missions. The thing that allowed him to hide from the reality of the things he was forced to do…

…Maru de ningyo mitai (Like a puppet)…

END OF FLASHBACK

You’re just like me.

Natsume continued to stare into its eyes.

Only a puppet. Only to be used…

Natsume reached out a hand, slowly moving it closer and closer to its snout.

If only I could free you from these invisible shackles… Maybe then I can save myself from this darkness as well…..

“Natsume!” someone screamed.

In an instant, he was snatched away by someone. Snapping out from his trance, he realised that it was Narumi that had pulled him out of his spot under the beast.

“Hanase (Let me go)!” Natsume snapped and the pheromone-user immediately put the boy down.

“Natsume, daijoubu ga (Are you alright)?” a concerned Mikan asked from beside her. Natsume merely nodded before he looked back at the beast. Gon and Kurapika had already sprung into action, fending off the beast which was trying to pounce and get a bite of Iinchou.