9.

"Amy?" I called out over the phone as soon as she picked up. No hello, no I miss you.

"Hey, girl! How's your little holiday?"

I looked around me, making sure no one was eavesdropping. I went to a park, walking there, away from the house and a destructive Susie.

"I think I made a mistake." I whined out.

"Oh gawd. You're preggers ain't ya?"

"What? No!" I snapped out.

"Then what happened?" Was her sigh in relief.

"Remember me telling you about Mr Hunky?" I grimaced, not that Amy could see.

"Yeah." She drawled out. I heard the background noise soften as she gave me full attention.

"Well....."

"Come on, spit it out, I don't have all night." Amy squealed at me. I wanted to sink further in to a mental hole I had made.

"You remember Susie? My sister in law?"

"Well, duh. Has she had the baby yet?"

I watched people walk by, minding their own business, doing their own thing.

"No. Tomorrow. Well, her brother, no, step brother, is, oh bugger. He is," I couldn't spit them words out. I've been denying it to Susie and I've been trying to lie to myself but I know the truth.

"Oh. What a small and twisted world. You fucked your sister in laws brother. Which kinda makes him your brother in law."

"Step!" I gritted out.

Amy laughed on the other end of the phone. Rolling my eyes, I waited till she took a breather.

"But yeah. And that's not the worse of it." I continued. "He is engaged."

Amy sobered up. "Oh, honey. Really?" I could hear the despair in her voice. "That sucks. I know you don't like to sleep with taken men. I hope it didn't destroy anything."

"I don't know, Amy. All I know is that he was with someone, I fucked him, they broke up and a week later, they are together again and engaged. But out of all the people in the fucking world, I had to climb Susie's brothers cock!"

"It's so sad and funny at the same time." Amy tried to comfort me. "Does Susie know?"

I groaned out. "Yeah, but I'm in denial here, Amy. I'm trying so hard to pretend it wasn't him. We went out for dinner the other night where I officially met Conrad, Susie's step brother. At first, I had something ringing, a familiar feeling about him and he was nice until he realised and went all cold."

"So he recognised you?"

I sighed out again. "I think so. FUCK! What am I gonna do?" I started pacing, my voice high then low again, looking down at the ground.

"Oh, that's a tough one."

I went quiet, looking at the path under my feet.

"Maybe just stick to women, Maya. They seem to be less drama."

I let out a small chuckle. "I agree." My phone vibrated in my hands and I quickly pulled the phone away to look at the screen.

A fresh text message came up. Opening it, it screamed two words. BABY ALERT.

Placing the phone back to my ear, I took a deep breathe. "I'll talk with ya later, Amy. Baby alert just came through."

"Oh, how exciting. Alright Aunty hoe." I heard her laugh and I couldn't help it. I grinned and shook my head, hanging up on our conversation.

I rushed back home, walking briskly. As I got closer, I watched Harry help Susie to the car, dad at the car already, holding a strap to a large bag on the ground. Jogging the last few metres, I caught up to them.

"What's happening? Baby isn't coming till tomorrow? Right?" I asked them as Harry opened the back door for Susie.

"My damn water broke!" Susie panted, trying to get in the car. "So you tell this baby to wait till tomorrow!"

Dad got in the front passenger seat and I jumped in behind him as we went to the hospital.

Susie was groaning and grunting in the back, holding her stomach. The experience looked painful and I grimaced at her discomfort.

"Give me your hand." Susie begged at me. Hesitantly, I gave her my hand and instantly regretted it. She squeezed it that tight, I was the one that was howling in pain.

"What's happening back there?" Harry called out, keeping his eyes on the road.

"Just get to the hospital!" Both Susie and I screamed. I tried to reclaim my hand, but Susie's death grip wasn't loosening. We got closer and I offered to get out and find a wheelchair for Susie, just to get out off her grip.

"Great idea, May." Harry grinned, pulling up at emergency.

I slipped out off the car at the same time as using one hand to peel Susie's fingers off my other hand.

I raced inside the emergency building and saw the line up at the reception and groaned. My whole body slacked. By the time I'll be seen, just for a wheelchair, Susie might pop this kid out in the car.

I went to the end of the line, looking around for any nurses that were floating about. The people in front of me looked like they wouldn't accept any one cutting in front.

One woman had a baby whimpering in to her, another looked so ill and I found myself covering my mouth with my singlet.

I saw one woman sitting down and holding a magazine, staring at me. She constantly looked from the magazine to me again and I bit my bottom lip nervously. Yeah, I really didn't want people thinking I was sick and in emergency. That could blow out of proportion completely.

"Excuse me." I quickly pounced at a nurse near me. She looked to be in a hurry herself but stopped, turning to me.

"You need to line up at reception to be registered and seen." She said in a huff.

"No, it's not me. My sister, she is in the car. I need a wheelchair, she is in labour." I told her frantically.

The nurses face changed completely from annoyed to concerned as she spun to the reception, going straight to the front of the line.

Leaning over the desk, she spoke to an admin nurse and then turned back to me. "Just wait here." She told me before going through double doors.

The admin nurse turned in her seat, talking to another and she jumped and left the room, returning to my side of the desk with a wheelchair.

I showed her the way, seeing the car still in the emergency bay. I pointed to it and let the nurse go ahead of me.

I stayed back a bit, watching as Susie got help getting out off the car. As soon as she saw me, she pouted, gripping on to her stomach. "Took ya long enough!" She panted as Harry yelled out to me.

"Wait outside birth suite for Susie's family, will ya?"

I nodded, not exactly registering the words and made my way to the main entrance of the hospital. Dad took over the driving, trying to find a legal car park that wasn't going to block the ambulances in the emergency section.

It wasn't till I was pacing outside the birth suite room that Harry's words actually sunk in.

Susie's family.