28.

I sat silently in the car while Conrad drove me home. The chapel where we held the funeral service was a good thirty minute drive and I reluctantly left after the priest needed to lock up.

I appreciate that he let me stay as long as possible and thanked him.

I stared out the window, not a word transpired between us for a good ten minutes, until I broke the silence.

"You need to tell Susie about you and Tiffany."

Conrad frowned instantly, slowing the car down and pulling over before looking at me, searching to see what I meant.

"About me and Tiffany?" He asked, playing dumb at first. "What do you mean about that?"

I turned to him, seeing the look on his face. "Exactly what I said. You need to tell Susie about you and Tiffany. Everything."

I watched as Conrad's frown deepened and how his lips pressed together.

"How the hell do you know about me and Tiffany? When the hell did you find out?"

I was too gloomy to show the proper emotions. "Tiffany. She told me that she was in a predicament and you stepped up, being a real gentleman. Helping her get her aunt of her back." I didn't go into anything else that we had discussed, like Tiffany saying I had her blessings sleeping with her husband. I still wasn't sure how I felt about that.

"When did this transpire?" Conrad asked me.

"After you got married."

"Tiffany and I are really close, but it's more like siblings. Her aunt is a stubborn woman." Conrad looked ahead as other cars passed us.

"To be honest, I no longer feel as guilty as I once did."

I saw the small smirk on Conrad's face. It was playful but I wasnt in the mood for that.

"I'm a very honest guy, Maya. I'm one hundred percent committed to any of my relationships. Tiffany and I don't hold a romantic relationship at all and we are okay with that."

I groaned loudly. "I know. Tiffany said this already. But it's nice hearing you both say it. You both are very honest and I believe you when you say you're a gentleman and all that."

Conrad turned back to me and I felt his finger brush under my eye, catching a tear. "Your mascara is running." Was his soft voice I wasn't even sure I heard it.

I quickly wiped away the mascara, hoping I got it in one swoop, batting my eyelids.

"This arrangement between Tiff and -"

"I don't wanna talk about it anymore." I interrupted, looking straight ahead.

"You're the one that brought it up." Conrad snapped, surprised by my sudden mood change.

"Yeah, I did. Telling you to talk to your sister." I growled back, crossing my arms on my chest.

"It's none of Susie's fucking business!"

I frowned and went to speak but Conrad butted in, continuing what he was saying.

"She doesn't need to know and you have no right on telling her!"

"Just drive the damn car!" I yelled, pointing to the road ahead of us.

"It's no one's business. What happens in my private life had nothing to do with anyone. Not Susie, not my mother and definetly not you!"

I frowned at Conrad, not knowing what he meant. "What? Of course it doesn't involve me. What made you think it does? Can I just go home?"

"Not until I finish saying what I have to say."

I saw how his knuckles whitened as he gripped the steering wheel and his jaw set hard. What he was saying made no sense.

Raising my hands in defeat, I shook my head. "You know what? Don't worry about it." I opened the car door, hearing Conrad calling out to me.

"Come on, Maya, be reasonable."

Slamming the door shut, I stormed off in a huff, next to a motorway. Cars zoomed past me and I kept my head high, trying not to cry anymore. I don't understand why I'm so emotional.

Yeah, today is the day I had a funeral for my dad, but I wasn't crying over him for once.

"Maya! Get in the car before you cause an accident." Conrad shouted over the traffic but I ignored him. Marching off dramatically like this was hard in wedges while next to a motorway.

I took a few more steps when I felt someone take my hand, tugging me back.

Turning to them, my face in a tight pout, I went to snatch my hand back but Conrad's grip was tight as he led me to the car and opening the door for me.

"Just get in the car." He groaned.

"Fine! Only because it's a very long walk!"

I sat on the seat, pouting and feeling salty, keeping to myself. I didn't speak, but Conrad did.

"I apologise for yelling and losing my temper." He told me, driving. "I'm not telling Susie anything between Tiff and I. It doesn't concern her or my mother and I'm surprised that you know. Tiffany usually tells me everything but she never told me about speaking to you."

I wanted to say something, but I kept my mouth shut, staring ahead of me.

"Yes, we are married, no we aren't in a romantic relationship. I don't know if Tiffany told you why, but if she didn't, it's not my place to say."

I still didn't reciprocate the conversation. Conrad sighed, peeking over at me. "Talk, Maya. I hate having one sided conversations."

The car slowed down and took an exit and that was what caught my attention. "You took the wrong exit."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes you did. The exit you need to take is a good ten minute drive away yet." I gritted my teeth.

"I know what exit to take. I know where I'm going. I'm not taking you home, just yet."

My ears pricked. "Um, why not?"

"Because it's probably the last place you want to be. In your family home, the same place your dad raised you."

I calmed down then, hearing his words properly. Conrad was right. I didn't want to be home just yet. The past couple days have been so weird not having him there. Everytime I walked in to the lounge room, I could smell him. His cologne of Old Spice lingered around the house and it always made me cry more.

"Then where are you taking me?" I asked cautiously, feeling myself go on high alert.

"How about we start out with something to eat?"