26.

After spending hours at the airport, hours in the plane as well, I caught a very expensive taxi fare straight to the hospital. I didn't care that I was still in my clothes from the nightclub.

I do admit it was highly inappropriate. My mini shirt was held together by many straps at the back, exposing me to no bra and my matching skirt had a massive slit up the thigh and tied together like a wrap.

I've already felt the coldness at the airport and the plane to the heat of Brisbane. I had raced home to my apartment to grab my actual handbag and passport and didn't bother to change or even grab a jacket before going to the airport.

I rushed through the halls of the hospital, my heels clicking, echoing around me as I read each sign I passed. Last time I was here, it was a happy and joyous day. Lillian, my niece was born.

I kept my phone in my hand, rereading the message Harry sent me of the exact details of where dad was and I halted before the entry. Above the doors in bold black letters was the ward I was chasing.

Palliative Care.

I gasped, my fingers brushing my lips and I felt the tears prick at my eyes. My breathing was laboured and I felt like I was choking.

With jelly legs, I went inside the ward, looking above each door, reading the numbers.

I needed room eight.

Coming across the door, I didn't want to go inside, to see the reality of it all. I didn't know dad was sick. I knew he was getting old and had arthritis and all that, but not sick like this.

With a shaky hand, I pushed open the door and peeked inside.

The room was dim and dad was awake, sitting up in bed. He was alone and his eyes darted to me.

"Bumblebee." He said softly to me. I gave him a reassuring smile, entering the room and sitting down on the seat next to his bed.

"Oh, dad. Why didn't you tell me?" I whispered, taking his hand in to mine.

Dad shook his head gently at me. "No. I couldn't stop you from seeing the world. Or your job."

"But you're my dad and I need to know these things." I demanded, scowling at him and brushing the first tear away. "You can't do this, dad."

Dad took a laboured breath and closed his eyes briefly.

"How long have you been sick, dad?"

"You need not to worry about these things, bumblebee."

I groaned, looking around the dark room. "Where is Harry and Susie?"

"Susie just left. Harry will be here within an hour."

I felt more tears run down my face, looking at all the tubes and cords hooked up to dad. I never knew and he hid it well.

"Why couldn't you tell me, dad?" I sighed out, feeling like my ignorance on the whole thing was my fault.

"Because you have your life in New York." Dad told me in a deep breathe. "You need to live and not worry about me."

Dad slowly fell asleep and I stayed silent. I didn't move from the seat as I held his hand, silently crying, wishing many things were different.

It was dad that persuaded me to go to America, supporting me every way possible. He was the one that helped fund me in everything I did. I never asked him to, I never expected him to, but he did it.

I was freezing cold in the air con of the hospital room and I started to shake, my temperature dropping when I felt a blanket drape over me. Looking up, I saw Harry, giving me a sad look. I didn't even hear him enter.

Hugging the blanket to me, I gingerly let dad's hand go and stood up, a look of anger and disappointment on my face.

"You knew." I whispered harshly at him. "You knew dad was sick and not once did you tell me."

Harry looked so guilty. "I did, Maya, but dad made me promise not to tell you. Why do you think Susie and I stayed at home? We didn't want to worry you. You have your life there, we have ours here. We are fine with looking after dad. You hated being stuck in this town and ever since I can remember, you wanted to travel, to see other places and dad didn't want to keep you burdened here."

The tears wouldn't stop flowing and I brushed them aside angrily.

"I would have given it all up to help, Harry!"

"Exactly!" He snapped at me, making me look at him with wonder. Harry rarely raises his voice and it's so rare, I didn't recognise the tone for a second. Taking a deep breathe and running his hands through his hair, Harry sighed. "Dad didn't want you to know because you would give everything up for him. He didn't want you to make a sacrifice like that."

My cheeks were wet from tears as I looked back at my dad. Asleep in the bed, my heart broke even more for the man.

Susie joined us with Lillian, cradling the infant, as we all sat in silence. I didn't want my dad to go. Why must he be sick?

"What's wrong with him?" I asked softly, staring at dad's peaceful face.

"Dad has stage four colon cancer." Harry answered me. "There is nothing we can do. All we could do was make dad comfortable."

I turned to Harry, wrapping my arms around him. "This isn't fair, Harry. Why must we lose our parents?"

After a couple hours, Patty and Ian came and left with Susie and Lillian, leaving Harry and I with dad. Dad woke a couple times, muttering stuff before sleeping again and it hurt to see him in so much pain.

Then in the early hours of the next morning, dad slipped away peacefully, no longer in any pain.