James X Regulus

Regulus looked over at the gryffindor table and felt himself smile. James was smiling and laughing today, he hadn't done that in a while because of his n.e.w.t.s. It was good to see him laugh again.

Today was going to be the day. Today, Regulus was going to tell James how he felt. No one knew about his crush, but he had a feeling that Sirius knows some thing's up.

Speaking of, his older brother looked up to the slytherin table and gave him a look. Yep, Regulus thought, he definitely knows.

Once all the food had vanished from the plates and everyone started going to their house rooms, Regulus headed towards where he last saw James. Standing there was Sirius.

"hey, have you seen James?" he asked the older black.

"yeah, he just went to the toilet. Why? Are you finally going to tell him you like him?" he asked. Regulus didn't even bother to deny his crush.

"yes, as a matter of fact, I am" he replied. Sirius' smile faltered a bit.
"listen, mate. You're my brother and I love you, but I think that Prongs is straight. He's been pining for Evans for years now"
"yeah, I know..."
"I just - I can't belive I'm saying this, but - I don't want you get hurt" sirius said. He placed a hand on Regulus' shoulder and gave a small smile.
"if you still want to tell him, go ahead. But just know-"
"yeah yeah, the pretty Evans girl is the only thing in his mind. I know"

The bathroom door opened and James, Remus, and Peter came out laughing. Regulus saw sirius's eye light up when he saw Remus and smirked to himself. It seems none of them are straight like their mother wants.

The trio came up to them and James gave a small smile.
"hey Reggy, what's up?" he asked, giving his signature smirk. Sirius gave Regulus a pointed look so he knew that he had to tell him now.
"actually, James, I was wondering if I could maybe talk to you?" he stuttered. James nodded and Sirius gave Regulus an encouraging smile.

"we'll see you again in the common room, Jamsie. Don't be long" sirius said. Regulus was instantly releaved that his brother knew that he wanted to be alone when he did this.

Once the others had left, James turned to him and smiled.
"what did you want to talk about?" he said brightly. Regulus' heart was beating fast and he felt a bit sick.
"well, I was wanting to tell you this, because I want you to know. And if you don't like it then it's fine, I just want you to know" he began. James's eyes flickered behinde him and a look of annoyance filled his face.

"what are you doing here, Snivellus?" he spat.
"come on, Black, the others are waiting for you"
Severous said to Regulus, completely ignoring James.

"can it wait, I'm kind of busy-"
"I don't care. Come on" Snape grabbed Regulus and dragged him away. He looked back at James to appolagise, but he had already turned away.

___________

The next day Sirius came running up to Regulus and dragged him into a closet, lighting it up with a flick of his wand.
"what happened last night? I asked James what happened but all he said something about Snivellus" he said quickly. Regulus sighed.
"I was about to tell him when Snape came along and dragged me away." he said quietly. Sirius sighed and gave him a small one armed hug.

________

It was almost a week until Regulus next saw James. He'd been the hospital Wing from a quidditch accident.

Regulus had walked into the great Hall for dinner and seen James laughing. The sight made Regulus smile, until he'd seen it.

James had his arm around Evans. Regulus knew it was coming, the amount of times James talked about the girl. But it still made his heart stop. His throat closed up and he realised he'd been stood in the same place staring at them for a few minutes. Sirius looked up at him and tilted his head to the side in a silent question 'are you okay?' Regulus shook his head and walked out the hall.

He walked over to an alcove in the hallway and sat down in it, bringing his knees up to his chest. His eyes were stinging but he blinked hard, wiling himself not to cry.

There was the sound of feet against the floor heading towards him. For a split second he thought it was James, but he shouldn't have gotten his hopes up. It was only Sirius.

"I'm sorry, I should have told you before you saw" he said, sitting next to the crying boy. Regulus buried his head into Sirius' shoulder and sobbed.

He didn't usually cry. Especially not in a public place. Blacks don't cry.

But today, this one did.

After a while, the tears had lessened and he looked up at his brother with bloodshot eyes.

"what's wrong with me?" he whispered. Sirius smiled at him softly.
"you're in love."

----------------

A/N hey, sorry if this isn't the best, this is my first story.

Im not actually sure if I ship Regulus x James, but I had this idea and thought it would be kinda cute. Not sure if I like the ending though...

Anyways, thanks for reading. Byee!