Chapter 13

Lilith's POV

I start to cry hard on Devin's shoulder. It feels good to have told someone about my problem that's been going on, since my parents died. It also feels like I've done something horrible, though. "My stomach is hurting now. I need to calm down." I say, and slowly back away from the hug, but Devin keeps a hold on my hands... almost like he might lose me if let's go.

"How long has this been going on?" He asked. His voice is very obviously laced with pure concern.

I hesitate. It's too late to go back now, so I tell the truth. "Ever since my parents were killed in a bank robbery. That would make it almost a year." I swallow a growing lump in my throat. "It's never constant abuse. It's like a pattern. She'll do it for a week and not for a week. That's how it usually is."

Devin looks at Chris and asks, "What do we do?"

Chris shrugs. "I don't know. Lilith." He looks at me. "Do you want to do something immediately or take another approach?"

"I'll think of something while I'm still here. It's not like she can do anything to me here. Just pretend you know nothing about it now and I'll write out a note and send it to both of you." Devin put his and Chris' numbers into some texting app he installed on my iPod.

They both nod. "Do you want me to stay with you here, though? So you'll feel safer?"

I can't refuse Devin. "Yes. That'd be nice."

He finally let's go of my hands, but I can tell he really didn't want to. "I have to go get some clothes from my pla-"

Chris cut him off. "I'll do that. Give me your key and I'll text you when I get there, so you can't tell me what you need. I'm doing this, because I honestly don't feel it's a good thing to have Lilith alone with Lora anymore."

I smile at Chris and tell him thanks. He leaves a few seconds after that, so he can get there and back as soon as possible.

I walk back in my room with Devin. Lora is still asleep, thankfully. I see out the corner of my eye, that Devin is glaring daggers at her. He doesn't do it for long, so he quickly and quietly helps me back into the hospital bed. "I promise you'll get out this, Lilith." He whispers. We look into each other's eyes... and before I know it, Devin places a tiny kiss on my forehead. I just smile at the gesture, while my face feels like it's on fire.

"I hope I will, Devin."

"Lilith. I know you will."

For the first time, in quite a long time, I don't feel alone.