Chapter Eleven

(Jesse POV)

I am waiting for Jane and Adrian to show up at my aunt's house to pick me up. Ever since Monday, Adrian has been avoiding me. I guess me standing up for him had weirded him out. I had actually believed that I was finally gaining some trust, but the next day, he stayed away from me. I asked Jane what was up with him and she said it had to do something with Hector; she wasn't sure what it was. I couldn't help, but feel like it was because of Monday. Maybe I freaked him out by standing up for him, but I just couldn't stand there and not do anything. A car honked and I look up to see Adrian pulling up in the driveway.

I get in the front seat and greet everyone. "Hey guys," I fasten my seatbelt.

"Morning Jesse," Jane says as she pops her head between the front seats.

Adrian just nods his head and places the car in gear. We ride in silence; even Jane is quiet for once. Adrian parks the car and we all get out, we walk towards the building until Jane pulls me back.

"Hey I need to talk to you alone." She says.

I look back at Adrian; he had stopped just ahead of us. "Hey Adrian I'll see you in class."

He nods his head and continues to walk to the building.

I turn back to Jane, "so what's up?"

"We got a problem." I look at her with confusion. "Ugh, I found out why Adrian has been kind of distant. Hector told him at the end of the month he is coming out to his family and everyone at school." I stand there as I let Jane's words sink in, what the hell? That is all I could think of. He is going to make it harder for me.

"Do you think he will really come out?" I ask Jane, I hope not. That is the only thing I had going for me, but the look on her face says it all. He is going to come out for Adrian and any chance if any is going to go out the window. "When," is all I can say.

"At the end of the month, we have less than three weeks to get Adrian to fall for you." Jane says.

I don't feel like playing this game anymore.

"Screw it Jane, I'm just going to tell him I like him." I start walking off to catch up to Adrian before the bell rings.

"You can't tell him." Jane shouts at me.

I turn back to face her. "Why not?" I demand to know.

"If you tell him, he won't believe you."

"What do you mean he won't believe me?"

Jane sighs as she rubs her temple. "He will think I put you up to it, like I told you he doesn't trust easily."

"Okay, then what do we do?" I stand there as I listen to Jane's plan, I don't agree with it, but what other choice do I have. If I want Adrian, I am going to have to go through with Jane's plan. I only have less than three weeks to get Adrian to fall in love with me.

I have no luck in getting Adrian to talk to me as we walk to our last class. I can see his mind is elsewhere as we head to the gym. As we round the corner, someone pushes me against the wall.

"Watch where you're going!" Carter yells at me.

I am not in the mood for his bullshit today. I push off the wall and push him back. He slams me into the lockers.

"Oh you little piece of shit!" Carter shouts as he reaches out for me and slams me against the lockers.

"What the hell is your problem?" I shout back.