Chapter 9

That's it. I'm going to bed. I can't handle this anymore. BARF. I threw up. I managed to make my way into the bathroom and make myself look at least half decent so my friends wouldn't find out what was going on. Because in their eyes, I would never be capable of doing things like this. I laid in bed and fell asleep.

The next day, I woke up to more text messages; more than I had ever gotten. Not only from the long-distance phone number but from a local one. It was too early and as much as I did the effort, my eyes couldn't focus on anything. I wanted to be home to read everything and figure out what the fuck I was going to do to get myself out of the mess I had gotten into. Eventually, Rachel was going to talk to me. And I had to figure out a way to manipulate her out of suing me.

My friend Roger was the one giving me a ride back. He had a convertible and, on the way, back, he decided we would ride with the top off and all of our hair blowing in the wind. Every other passenger was thoroughly enjoying it. I on the other hand, was about to projectile vomit and ruin everyone's music-video-worthy moment. It was then when I made the stupidest decision I could have.

I pulled out my phone. Not only was I already dizzy because the way back to Zuko town is mostly curves, I was hungover out of my mind, we had the top off, but I pulled out my phone. I knew there were some texts from a local phone number so I decided I would open those first to see what they were about.

Rachel: Hey Amanda. This is Rachel. Matt just spoke to me out of nowhere to let me know what has been going on. This is so beyond disrespectful. I've worked so hard to build and polish my name in our country for you to do a stupid thing like this and try to ruin my reputation. But you know what? You're 18 now and you can pay for what you did. Matt sent me screenshots of everything that happened between you two and I know everything. I want the password to that fucking profile right now and I want to know the names of every single man you contacted with my pictures. Either you message them to let them know what has been going on or I will.

Well that was unexpected. I mean, I knew this Matt guy was pissed off but he really had contacted this girl. There really was no way out. I had been caught. Not even the most well-constructed lie would save me from this beating I was expecting. I had to come up with something, though. I couldn't go down like this.

So, there I was. Hungover as can be, staring down at my phone in disbelief. I kept re reading the text message to see if I could deconstruct or maybe find something I could use in my favor or anything! I was just desperate to find my way out. Deep down though, I knew there was absolutely no way out. I had to face Rachel and tell her what happened. For the first time in my life, being honest was what would get me off the hook.

Me: Hey Rachel. Yes, I have been talking to Matt pretending to be you. I'm sorry I did it. Honestly, I didn't mean to hurt you. I just wanted someone to talk to.

Rachel: Thank you for answering. I know you could have disappeared. But what you did was not right. I know you are fat but there are other ways to fix it. Don't use my face to play games.

WOW! Low blow. That fast? In that moment I could have gone off on this chick. I don't even know if I should have because in reality, what gave her the right? I know I messed up but who the fuck does she think she is? I mean I already apologized, what else did she want me to do? As mad as I was, I had to swallow my pride and keep trying to make amends.

Me: I know I was wrong. And like you said, I'm fat. I was never going to get any attention from any other man in person.

Rachel: You know, this type of behavior had to change. I want to talk to your mother. Have you stopped to think about that you actually put me in danger, Amanda? For all I know, this Matt guy could be a stalker and he could try to follow me from now on. Am I going to have to hire security because of you? Are you going to pay for it? I don't think so. Tell you mom I want to talk to her.