Check In

I didn't go straight to New York. Fury decided instead that I should go through 6 months worth of training in a week. He said he needed to make sure I was "up to the task" of being an operative.

Although I've had the Witchblade since I was 15, a lot of people have doubted me and what I can do. I mean, they think because I'm young that I can't do things. That I don't have the experience. But you need to do things to get the experience in the first place, which is why i guess I've traveled so much. I'm 26. Everything I've been through has taught me a lot. But apparently not enough.

On the plus side, I got to meet some of the other 'candidates' for the Avengers Initiative. Carol Danvers and Bobbi Morse are just a few of them. They were already special agents before the Initiative and have been on the reserves list for a year. They are great people, Bobbi and I got along smashingly.

I finished the week with more experience filing paperwork than any person should ever have.

~~~~~~~~~

But now I'm here. I'm standing in front of Avengers Tower. I've just gotten out of the black town car and an agent is escorting me to the lobby. There's so many tourists, it's unbelievable. They seem to have come from everywhere to try to catch a glimpse of the world-famous Avengers.

As we enter, all the secretarial staff and Stark Industries personnel seem to turn and look at me. The lobby goes silent and all you could hear was the padding of my converse and the click of the agent's shoes. He nods to the security head and leads me to a room off the lobby.

"Someone will be down in a minute."

"Cool," I say "thanks for the escort."

He shrugged. "Just doing my job."

I nodded and he left.

Now it was just me and my bag. I paced for a few minutes, then went over to the window. I watched all the people bustling past, thinking about their lives and if I would ever see any of them again. Then I started wondering about why I was here again. There were so many other people, better trained, better equipped, better soldiers. Why me?

I heard the door open behind me with a faint creak. I turned to see a man standing in the doorway.

"Fox? Is that you?"

He was a shy guy. Studious and reserved. It couldn't be...

"Bruce?"

He laughed and gave me a hug. I bro-hugged him back, still in shock.

"W-what the hell are you doing here?"

He held me by my shoulders. He looked at me, his deep brown eyes sparkling.

"I was about to ask you the same thing! I thought you said S.H.I.E.L.D would never get their hands on you again?"

I shied and pushed away from him.

"Sometimes things don't go as planned.." I sighed.

"Don't I know." He grinned and picked up my bag.

"Bruce, you don't have to do that." I go to grab my bag off him, but he refuses to put it down.

"Hey, you're the guest here." He puts his arm around my shoulder and steers me out of the room, through the lobby towards the elevator. He presses the button and we get in. He still has this goofy grin on his face, and I'm now smiling. This isn't going to be as awkward as I thought. It's so great to see him again.

The doors close and we start moving up.

"The rest of the guys have been eagerly awaiting your arrival."