Dangerous For You

(A/N: Weren't expecting that last twist? Or maybe you did? Whatever, I have a few more up my metaphorical sleeve. Anyway, as I've said before, votes are good. And any comment or suggestion made will be taken into consideration and, if I think I can ravel it into the storyline, I will use them. YOU PEOPLE ARE AMAZING, DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT!)

My necklace is gone. I hadn't even noticed yesterday, but I can't find it. I ripped all the blankets and sheets off my bed, I pulled everything out of the wardrobe, I went through all the drawers in the dresser, I checked the shelf in the bathroom near the shower that usually has all my jewellery on it. It's vanished. I stood in the middle of the wreckage that is now my room. Things were flung everywhere. Fucking hell, where could it be? Think, woman. I started cleaning everything up, putting it all back in the right places. Once my room was as clean as it was ever going to get, I went upstairs.

After being locked in my room all day yesterday, I didn't realise just how much human contact Bruce had deprived me of. But hugs can wait, the necklace is top priority. As soon as the elevator doors pinged open, I walked purposefully over to the kitchen and started going through cupboards and drawers. Clint was sitting at the bench, mouth full of toast.

"Wha da hell you doingff?" His words near-unrecognisable.

"Sorry?"

He swallowed. "Good to see you back on your feet. But seriously, what ARE you doing?"

"Looking for my necklace." I replied, walking into the pantry.

"Well I don't think you'll find it in the flour jar." He called.

"First rule of looking for lost jewellery." I called out. "It's never anywhere you'll expect it to be." I stuck my hand in the flour, just to be sure. Nope, not there. I walked out and headed for the fridge.

"Told you."

I threw a handful of flour at Clint. It went all over his red shirt. I laughed.

"Bitch." He said and went back to drinking coffee and reading the newspaper.

I shrugged. "Still been called worse than that."

"I don't doubt it."

I riffled through it and, other than some mouldy pie and somebody's chocolate stash, there was nothing of any importance in there. I grumbled and moved over to the couch. I pulled off the cushions and ran my hands down the crack. I pulled out a fifty dollar note.

"Fox, what are you doing? If you need something to hock, the good silverware is in the third drawer to the right." Tony Stark called.

"Shut up, Stark." I could hear the panic in my voice.

"Told you she was on drugs yesterday." He mumbled to who I guessed was Steve. They've been spending a lot more time together recently. Weird. I thought they hated each other.

"Have you lost something Fox?" Steve asked.

I sighed. Obviously. "Yeah, my necklace."

"No problem, I'll just buy you another one." Stark said.

"No you can't."

"Why not?"

"Because its the only one like it in the world."

"Never stopped me before."

I rolled my eyes. "Ming Dynasty Chinese metalwork. My cousin gave it to me for Christmas when I was nine years old. The memories I have in that locket are worth more than anything you can buy, Stark."

Steve came over and put a hand on my shoulder. I looked at him. "I'll help you look. I know how much it hurts when things that mean a lot to me disappear."