Shits and Giggles

(A/N: You people are very lucky I have an extra long weekend. I might actually write a chapter or two of decent length. Although I'm out most of Friday (going to see Dredd for my (very) late birthday), so I shall see what I can do. And hey, past 200 reads. Thanks everyone, you guys brighten up my day when i check and see that the reads have increased. I feel so loved <3 )

"How was it?"

I looked up from my book. I hadn't even noticed Bruce was standing right in front of me.

"Meh." I shrugged.

He raised his eyebrows and sat down next to me.

"What are you reading?" He asked.

I stopped and had to look at the cover. I wasn't even reading, I was too distracted with Daken's imminent arrival. I hope he has sleeping arrangements, as he sure as hell can't stay here. "Um, Ice Station by Matthew Reilly. I found it on the bookshelf downstairs, and it sounded cool, so..." I trailed off. As soon as I'd gotten back, I kind of blanked out. I was curled up in the armchair, afternoon sunlight streaming in the windows. I'd been there for a few hours, staring at the same page. Just thinking.

"You are more antisocial than I am. And I have better reasons to be." He said. "What's up?"

I didn't answer straight away. I was still staring at the page. A paragraph had caught my eye. 'Such a move wasn't a defensive move at all. It was a co-ordinated move, a planned move, an attacking move... Make your enemy look at one hand while you're doing something with the other...' I looked at him sideways.

"We could possibly, maybe have a guest in the next week. I'm hoping not, but..."

"I'm sure someone will vacate their room for you."

"WHAT THE HELL'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?" I growled defensively.

"Nothing. I wasn't implying anything." He said quietly.

I went back to my bubble of nothingness, thinking about that paragraph. What if Tania was a distraction? What if there's something else going on? And we can't see it, because its happening right under our noses. Great, Daken will be in even more shit when he comes. As if being number 17 on S.H.I.E.L.D's most-wanted list wasn't enough. I was thinking so hard, I never noticed Thor come in and turn the TV on to watch My Little Pony. I didn't notice when Bruce got up to ask Steve something. I didn't notice when Stark came in, bellowing someone had broken his stereo. I didn't react to his screaming match with Steve, nor when Clint stepped in and yelled at them both for being immature. I didn't react when Loki magicked the remote away from Thor and turned the channel over to watch Sherlock. I didn't even notice it was dark out. I just stared at that page, playing absentmindedly with my necklace. I didn't surface from my pool of thoughts until I heard my phone ring.

I jumped at the noise and snatched it off the coffee table. I looked at the ID. It was him. Fuck. I answered it.

"Yes?"

"Well, that was incredibly warm greeting. How are you, Fox?" He answered, his voice as husky as I remembered it.

"I've been better." I noticed everyone had stopped what they were doing as soon as I answered the phone. I guess it's because they hadn't seen me move for hours. "If you are coming, you can't stay here."

"Damn. I miss our old roommate days." He's such a sarcastic little shit. "Why ever not? I was really looking forward to it."

I sighed. I turned to the guys and held my phone in the air. "Say hi everyone." Everyone shouted a 'hey' and I put the phone back on my ear. "That's why."

"Aw, new roomies? Can't be as good as me."

"Yeah, you're right. But they're the Avengers. I'll guess they'll have to do."