Keeping Score

(A/N: Back to normal POV... Thanks to my home room teacher for letting me type most of this in class. Stupid writers block thing. Don't you hate it when you know what's gonna happen but you can't think of the words to describe it? Anyway, my tumblr is being annoying. Too much Tom Hiddleston, not enough Jeremy Renner. Which isn't actually a bad thing, when I think about it. I mean, my friend has random gay porn appearing at the most inappropriate moments on hers...)

As I rounded the street corner, I stopped walking. I leaned against the building and started to cry for the first time since Tania's funeral. Away from the others I let my frustration take hold and I just kind of died. I sat there with my head in my hands, eyes closed, trying to shut out the world and analyse what had just happened. Ok, so Tania had come back to life, was experimented on and had been fitted with a next-gen Cloneblade that wasn't actually a Cloneblade. But I saw her die 5 years ago, in that fire at the chemical plant. I saw her body. She couldn't have lived through injuries like that. And then when I asked how she was still alive, she spat in my face and hissed that it was Elizabeth. That stupid bitch, how was she still alive?

FOX EVANGELINE SUMMERS, PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER! She was already dead when you killed her. You start feeling guilty about it you will never stop. Now, what are you going to do about it?

I sighed and looked up at the night sky. It was hard to see the stars because of the city lights. The streets were unusually quiet, even if it was a Thursday night. Really, it's New York. And there were no cars at all. Maybe the cops had closed off the roads, because of the, um, 'incident' at the restaurant.

I took my heels off and stood up. I shouldn't be wearing shoes because my tendon was still healing. I started walking back to the tower. There was no point going back to the guys, they were probably already gone.

Half a block down I caught a glimpse of my reflection in a shop window. I cracked up. God, I was a mess. My dress was unfixable, ragged patches where bits had been torn off when I was pushed through the wall. The fact that i was missing a sleeve and a half didn't help. I had cuts and bruises all over my body, half healed and still a bit painful. I didn't realise just how many were on my back, as they weren't hurting before. Then it clicked.

Loki.

He had picked me up and, maybe it was some Asgardian thing but, he had felt cold. Really cold. I hadn't really noticed it then, I was too confused as to the fact he had shown some kind of positive emotion towards me and that my best friend had returned from the dead and tried to kill me. But the coolness of his skin must've stopped my bruises from fully forming.

I shook the dust out of my hair and kept walking. I needed to clear my head. I walked past a bar with a few drunk guys out the front. One of them came up to me and grabbed me by the shoulders.

"Only came outside to watch the nightfall with the rain, I heard you making patterns rhyme, Like some new romantic looking for the tv sound, You'll see I'm right some other time." he said it slowly and carefully, for a guy off his head anyway. I gave him a weird look, then realised what he was saying.

"Look now, look all around, there's no sign of life, Voices, another sound, can you hear me now?" I continued, in tune.

All his other drunk friends suddenly jumped up and started singing as loud as they could. "This is planet earth, you're looking at planet earth, Bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop this is planet earth!"

I laughed as they continued to dance to the tune they were yelling, because you couldn't call it singing. Who'd have thought, 20-somethings singing Duran Duran late on a Thursday night... I went on my way, humming.

Y'know what? I need to call Emma and tell her what happened. She'll know what to do now.

I walked up the stairs to the Avengers Tower's atrium. I entered the security code S.H.I.E.L.D had given me and the door unlocked with a soft click. I walked into the elevator and pressed the button for the floor my room was on.