Lockets and Keys

(I HAVE SO MUCH WRITERS BLOCK AT THE MOMENT, I HATE IT! So if this chapter sucks, that's why.)

It didn't take as long I thought it would to get to the institute. As I drove past the luxury mansions and the well-groomed gardens I thought about the last time I had seen Emma. It was in Milan, at the Casino de la Vallee. I had just helped her out with some nasty 'business' involving her and a certain Italian official and we were out celebrating a job well done. After a few glasses of the finest champagne in the bar, we stood up, exchanged phone numbers and parted ways. That was 4 years ago. I wonder how much she's changed.

I was early, so I parked outside the school's gates and walked up the driveway slowly, taking in the school grounds. It had that prep school feel, a strict appearance, an old main building. It reminds me of when I was in England staying with my grandmother, who made me go to a school just like this. Except it always rained, and quite a lot of the girls there were incredibly bitchy, it was unnatural. Thank god i was only there a month. The gravel crunched under my feet. Wow, there's even a large fountain near the door. I can think of all the small kids who couldn't help themselves on hot days like this. I walked around it and up the stairs to the front door. I pushed the doorbell and stood back. I heard the thump-thump-thump of someone running to answer it. The lock clicked as the key was turned, and the door swung open. A small boy with messy brown hair stood in the doorway panting. He looked up at me with deep hazel eyes and grinned.

"Miss Frost told me to tell you she's teaching at the moment, but it's ok for you to come up to her office and wait." He puffed.

"Great, thanks."

He started back up the stairs, getting halfway up and then turning around to see if I was following. I climbed after him. After about two floors, I followed him down a small hallway to a study. He stood by the door as I walked in. A bell sounded.

"She'll be here soon." He turned to leave.

"Thanks, kiddo." I smiled. "Good luck with school."

He waved. He seemed like a sweet kid. I wonder if the teachers here have taught them all to behave like that... I sat down in one of the guest chairs and crossed my legs. I didn't have to wait long, as Emma came in as soon as I sat down.

"Fox." I stood up again and we hugged. "It's been too long. Please take a seat."

"I already did."

"I see your wit hasn't changed."

"Neither has your dress sense. But seeing as you're now an X-Man, it counts as a costume right?"

White leggings, white corset, white cloak, white thigh-high boots, white gloves. She has always been theatrical. She flipped me off and sat down with her feet on her desk.

"How has your week been, Darling?" She asked as she poured us some tea.

"Uneventful. What about yours?"

"Oh, you know," she sighed. "a sentinel here, a terrorist there. The usual."

She sipped her tea.

"So are you going to tell me where Daken is?" I asked bluntly.

"Always straight to the point, Fox. He is in Jamaica today, I believe. I told him to call you tonight. He said he would, if he wasn't able to get a flight to New York."

"What, he's coming here!?" I was shocked. If he comes, we'll be an easier target. Shit.

"Darling, you know I can't read your thoughts. So tell me, please?" She implored.

"Well, at least now I can keep an eye on him." I shrugged. She knew I was bull-shitting her.

She smiled. "Fine, don't tell me. And Scott has just asked me if my guest and I will be joining himself and the others for lunch."

"Not today." I said. "I don't think I can reveal my existence just yet."

"You are going to have to do it someday, you know. You can't keep hiding. Your 'death' haunts him, as does so many others." She pouted. "He still remembers the Christmas he gave you that locket."

I looked down. I forgot I was still wearing it. I flicked it. It was a beautiful thing, a silver dragon curling around a copper ball with a ruby embedded in it. The ball was empty though. I had never found the right thing to put in the locket. It had been through a lot and I was amazed I hadn't had to replace the chain yet.

"It was a great Christmas, that year." I murmured.

Emma brushed her hair out of her face. "I guess if you are not up to revealing yourself today, you had better leave. Scott and the others will be back soon." She ushered me downstairs and out the door. She waved. "I shall see you again soon, I hope?"

"There's going to have to be a team-up sometime." I laughed. She waved goodbye and the door closed with a thunk. I put my hands in my pockets and walked back down the driveway. At the gate a small crowd of teens was assembled. I started walking faster. As I neared it, one of they girls turned around and saw me. She quickly elbowed her friend and warned the others. The all backed away from Stark's car. If that's not suspicious activity, I'm a Pokemon. I slowed my walk, a serious look on my face as I approached the car. I walked behind the sixteen year old boy silently. He was trying to jimmy the driver side door open. I cleared my throat loudly, a hand on my hip and the other swinging the keys around my finger. He jumped back, startled. "You do know who's car that is, right?" I asked.

The kid started shifting from foot to foot, ready to run. "Um, no? Is it yours?" He replied, trying to look innocent.

"Nope. I'm borrowing it from a very rich man who doesn't like people touching his stuff." I bent down and inspected the keyhole in the door. "You are a very lucky little boy. No scratches."

He was looking more guilty by the second.

"Just be glad I'm in a hurry." I scolded, half jokingly. "Otherwise I'd escort you back up to the school. But that would take longer than just showing you how to break in easily." I took the wire off him, looked at the keyhole again and bent it accordingly. I inserted the wire and twisted it until I heard a click. I pulled it out and handed it back to him. "Ok, bye." I waved him away and he scuttled off to tell his friends what had just happened. I shrugged and got in the car. If you're going to watch someone do something make sure they do it right. I spun the tires as I drove off, fiddling with my locket absentmindedly.

(It's very short. It's annoying me. But I shall write again soon. I promise there will be... ANOTHER! Very, very soon. :D)