Just A Moment Behind

(A/N: *looks around sheepishly* ....I'm sorry. Truly. I AM THE SUCKIEST UPDATER IN THE HISTORY OF SUCK. I just got complete writers block on this, and yes, started other stories AND IM SO SORRY. So here, finally. WE'RE BACK! And you know what, it's in Loki's point of view. I'm sorry if its kinda terrible too... Thank you to everyone who's been patiently waiting for me to update this. Again, I'm really sorry. [ill try not to take a year to upload the next one])

He was an idiot. He was ready to admit that to himself.

If Loki had known there was a man with such power, such an evil presence, that even had control of his own country, he would have surely met with him before attacking New York. But his invasion was a brash act, and frankly, he was embarrassed. Watching from his position in the crowd gathered in the foyer of the UN building, he saw Victor von Doom step out of his armoured vehicle. He immediately sensed a shift in the crowd's temperament. Fear coursed through the people surrounding him, any security agents nearby tensing up. Loki's lip curled into a snarl.

His role was to observe, nothing more. He didn't see the point of him being here. He tried to appeal to Fury, saying he'd just be in the way. Besides, he had some Game of Thrones to catch up on. It was one of the only mortal programs on their picture-box that he enjoyed. Anyway, that had failed particularly well. He was still under observation after that disappearing act he performed a while ago.

The crowd parted silently as Doom and his attaché made their way to the Assembly Area. His green hooded cloak floated behind him as he walked. Loki watched him, observing his stance. He could see that Doom knew that each and every person in the building was waiting with baited breath for him to make a move. It made him feel superior and gave him the ultimate position of power. Unlike Loki, Doom was untouchable. His political immunity could allow him to do anything he pleased, to an extent. If he had invaded New York instead of Loki, the authorities would be falling over themselves to negotiate an armistice with him, instead of brutally attacking him with super-idiots.

Loki turned away as a woman in dark sunglasses and a suit with a strange aura whispered in Doom's ear. He'd never been one for politics anyway (no matter what he'd said in the past) and felt like one of those drinks the mortals called a cinnamon dolce crème frappuccino from the astral deer place. He didn't know where the Avengers had gone, and didn't really care. Although he would probably get imprisoned if they didn't know where he was. Maybe he should tell that Summers woman. Who knows, perhaps she would insist on escorting him. He wouldn't mind that, but he'd never admit it. Booming laughter abruptly cut through his thoughts.

"You!" The harsh voice of Victor von Doom rang out. Loki began walking towards a nearby fire exit. "Turn and face me!"

Loki stopped, the door handle within his grasp. He smirked. "Too proud to stab me in the back?"

"Hmph."

He turned. Doom had started towards him, his armour clanked quietly as he walked. Brown eyes studied Loki curiously through the slits of Doom's mask. Loki glared back. People were staring. The air between the two villains was thick with overconfidence.

"It is you. The ravager of New York." Doom hissed. "Loki, of Asgard."

Loki felt the crowd's shock ricochet through the foyer. He grinned. He no longer had anywhere to hide, exactly how Doom would want him. His reappearance would be all over the mortal's internet in a matter of minutes. Excellent.

"In the flesh." Loki replied with a chilling smile. "And you are..?"

Doom's eyes narrowed. "I believe you know who I am."

"Right, you mortals always do. Now if you'll excuse me..." Loki went for the door. A sword blocked his way. He felt another surge of panic as the crowd started diminishing. He looked sideways and saw another one of those bloody things. He laughed. "You whores just can't stay away can you."