Meanwhile, Somewhere In The World...

(A/N: This has recently jumped around 50 reads. It scared me. Heaps. But I do appreciate it. This is a slight filler, it felt kinda needed. I will write a real chapter soon.)

1307 hours, undisclosed location.

She had been supervising the tests all day and she was getting bored of them. She knew it would work perfectly, she had designed them after all. The Stealthblade's design was flawless, much more powerful than any previous Cloneblade. It was more artistic as well, the armour engraved with swirling, geometrical patterns. There was not enough art in this world. But she would change that.

"Ma'am, the latest test are coming back inconclusive for the degeneration process, but all the others are clear. I suggest we start mass-production ASAP." A scientist holding a clipboard summarised the data.

"I totally agree. And the latest Neogenes are adapting to the upgrades well." She observed.

"So far there has been no sign of rejection."

"Of course. Proceed on schedule with the further upgrades." She walked out of the observation deck and to her office. That was the last of her duties today and she was preparing to go home. She sighed and looked at the pile of paperwork her secretary had dumped on her desk earlier. Note to self, she thought, have her replaced. There was a quiet knock on the door.

"Enter."

The door swung open softly. A woman in a short lab coat walked in and stood in front of her desk.

"Yes?"

"Project Overlap was a failure."

"What!?" She was startled. How..? "How did this happen?"

"The target was surprised and nearly taken down, but our intel was out-of-date. We had not run through a scenario with Subject: 13RZ9P7 where there would be others present."

"Who were these..." She spoke slowly, a hint of menace in her voice. "Others?"

The other woman gulped. "The Avengers, ma'am. The target has allied herself with them."

She sat down and rubbed her temples. This was an unexpected development. The bearer of the Witchblade wasn't one who trusted or relied on others, so how could she cope in a team environment? Interesting.

"And our chosen assassin?"

"Target killed Subject: 13RZ9P7 at approximately 2045 last Thursday. Intel wasn't received until today because retrieval wasn't scheduled until earlier today."

Their tardiness must be punished, she thought. The girl in front of her shifted, looking awkward.

"I understand. We shall try harder next time. You may go now."

The girl looked relieved and hurried back to her station. Finally alone, Elizabeth turned and faced the window, staring out into the miserable storm.

"Damn it all!" She yelled, pounding her fist on the glass. A small crack appeared.

"Damn you, Witchblade." She hissed under her breath. "Next time I won't be so merciful."

Witchcraft (An Avengers/Witchblade Fanfic) DISCONTINUEDजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें