Don't Waste Resources

(A/N: OH MY GOD, IM SO HORRIBLE TO ALL OF YOU! I'm so sorry that I haven't updated this in what feels like such a long time to me. I've been busy with other stuff and I haven't been able to find the inspiration to continue writing this. I'M SO, SO, SO, SOOOOOO SORRY! But I would like to thank you guys for reading this. At 516 reads, I just have to say you guys make me feel so loved :3. Thank you again. And now, as @chloethedemigod suggested, CHAPTER TWELVE, ASSEMBLE! <3)

The things had landed in a nearby park. People were running and screaming, even though the robots hadn't done anything. They had gone into some sort of 'stand-by' mode as soon as they'd hit the ground. An old woman ran into me as she was rushing to get out of there. She looked at me with pure horror and I told her it was going to be fine and to keep running. I wasn't in the armour yet, so she just smiled at me, assuming I was just another victim trying to make herself feel better by helping someone else before everything went to hell. Then Clint yelled at me to hurry up. I left the woman and started sprinting towards where the flow of panic had started. As I ran my armour slid into place and I picked up speed. Heads turned as I rushed through the crowd, gasps of horror as people thought I was another one of those machines. I put my head down and ignored the stares, as I always have. I rounded a corner and literally skidded to a halt, dust floating through the air where I had been. As soon as I stopped the robots activated. One raised its hooded head and looked straight at me, red eyes gleaming pitilessly. Oh shit...

"HAWKEYE!" I screamed as it fired some sort of laser beam. I launched into the air, flipping over the top of it and slicing it in half with the Witchblade. "They're Doombots!"

"What!?" He yelled back, shooting explosive arrows as fast as he could. He was being enclosed by a group of them. About ten were converging on me. I started swearing under my breath. Clint was going to be killed. I started hacking and stabbing at the robots, accurately but frantically. I won't be able to get to him in time. Suddenly, one of the Doombots was hit by a shard of green light and instantly lost control of its weapons system. That...

"Where the fuck have you been, Cats?" I shouted as Loki turned his attention to the much larger group of 'bots attacking Clint.

"Waiting for the opportune moment." He called back, throwing more daggers of light. The Doombots were slowly being destroyed, but not before they had left the park. We three Avengers chased them through a small industrial area, picking them off until there were only two left. Their tactical functions were still operating, so they'd rationalised breaking off to different areas. Loki went with Clint (as 'backup', because Clint still had two arrows left) down the street, following the 'bot into populated areas. The one I was following had barricaded its damaged self into an abandoned warehouse. I think we may have made the evening news that night. I stood in the middle of the hole it had made in the brick wall.

"C'mon, robot. I'm sure Doom planned to use you for bigger and better things than for just hiding down here from little old me." I said into the darkness. I couldn't hear anything, so I walked willing into the trap it had set. But there was nothing there. I swore. I couldn't have lost it. I saw it come in here. I walked cautiously around stacks of crates, awaiting a laser blast or some sort of attack. Nothing happened. I walked around the corner of the third crate stack and I found the Doombot. In pieces. I picked up the head. The circuits in the neck still sparked, a faint glimmer of activity in the flickering red eyes.

"I told you I'd see you around." A smooth voice drifted down from the rafters.

I huffed. I wasn't in the mood. I started towards the hole in the wall but he dropped down a few meters in front of me in the shadows. He stood casually, left hand on his hip.

"Daken, I'm busy. I told you not to come here." The jewel in my gauntlet pulsed. The Witchblade knew this wasn't going to end well.

"I'm here on business. The Doombots just happened to distract me."