Kabanata 3

Kabanata 3

"This a 45 year old male patient that was assaulted and rushed to the emergency room with scalp lacerations. He arrived conscious with a normal mental state. The CT scan indicated an acute extradural hemorrhage the width of a bone. An emergency operation was performed immediately," said Gelo.

I look at the projector intently when Dr. Versoza spoke.

"It didn't look like his extradural hemorrhage required surgery. Why the operation rushed?" Kahit hindi ako lumingon, I know she's raising her eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes heavenwards. "He was convulsing."

"You mentioned that he was young with a stable mental state. If he regained consciousness after his convulsions, shouldn't you have waited to observe his condition?" Ramdam ko na ngayon ang panunuya sa boses niya. I can't help but to snort.

"Those moments of recovery were lucid intervals, decided on surgery after the patient fell into stupor again." Nanggigil na ako ngunit hindi ko ito pinapakita.

"According to the CT scan. The hematoma shouldn't have infected his mental state. Maybe there was an error with his mental assessment." I can feel she's smirking.

Bwisit. Anong pinuputok ng butsi ng babaeng ito? Wala namang naging kamalian ang ginawa ko. Nilingon ko ito. "There was no mistake."

She waved the CT scan result. "Then the cause of the patient's stupor must be something else. The scans should've been consulted if his condition was worsening."

I took a deep breath and face back in front. She's getting into my nerves.

"The operating field revealed a continual hemorrhage from a ruptured middle meningeal artery. The extracted hematoma exceeded 50cc." I looked back at her. "The operating field is a surgeon's discretionary domain. If your suspicions continue, I cannot no longer reveal the details behind my decision."

Tumukhim naman ang doktor sa harap kaya agad akong umayos nang upo. Everyone is dead silent, even Mr. Harris. We're talking about the incident happened yesterday. Ano bang pinuputok ng butsi niya? Na ginamit ko ang operating room kahit na tapos na ang duty ko? Hell, the patient needs to be operated immediately because he's convulsing! Anong gusto niya? Na panoorin ko nalang ang pasyenteng nag-aagaw buhay?

"That is correct, the operating field is under a surgeon's discretion. If we don't respect our professional boundaries, no one else will. Let's wrap it up now."

--

"You look cool while debating with Dr. Versoza," nakangiting sambit ni Dr. Harris na kakarating lang.

I smiled at the nurse. "Please check the room 14."

"Yes, Doc." She nodded her head and bowed before leaving the nurse' station.

Bumaling naman ako sa Doktor na abot tenga ang ngiti. "I just explained my point of view behind doing that surgery."

"You really are something." He held his jaw like he's thinking of something. "Are you sure you're a fellow doctor? Not an attending physician?"

"Soon to be." I smiled.

He was about to speak when a high pitched voice interrupted our conversation. "Mommy!"

A little kid run towards me and a wide smile immediately plastered on my lips as I open my arms wide to carry him. He immediately kissed my cheeks. Ramdam ko namang nagulat si Dr. Harris sa presensiya ng batang karga-karga ko ngayon.

"I have many stars!" Pete showed me his arms full of star marks.

Hindi ko maiwasang mapangiti at ginulo ang kanyang buhok. I look at Dr. Harris and smile.