Kabanata 7

Kabanata 7

Napasimangot ako nang pumasok si Gelo na may ngisi sa labi, nasa likod nito ang isang dalaga at isang medyo katandaang ginang na sa tingin ko ay magpapakonsulta. Nilapitan ako ni Gelo at tinapik ang aking balikat.

"Second from the last patient. May isa pa sa labas." He went near my cabinet and got his phone.

Napairap ako sa kanya at sumenyas sa pasyente na umupo sa visitor's chair sa'king harapan. After our arrival here in New York, agad na pumasok ako sa hospital. I still didn't meet the President and the other neurologist like Mr. Harris.

"How can I help you?" I asked politely as I glance on the monitor beside my table. It contains all the videos of neurological surgeries for Multiple Sclerosis.

"Good afternoon, Doctor. I'm here to ask about my mother's condition." She glanced at the lady in front of her who's now busy wandering her eyes around my office.

"What about it?" I tap the head of my ballpen on my table.

"Lately, mommy is having a problem coming up the names or right words of a person or thing. She often calls the table and a bed and call me by my sister's name who is now dead." Worry is visible on her face. She's worried about her mom.

Habang nagsusulat, panay ang pagtango ko. "What more?"

"Then she always forget something. Like, now she's holding a book and placed into somewhere else. After a few minutes, she'll forget where did she last put it. Then she's starting to lose focus. I mean, before, she organized things properly but now, everything's a mess! The rice cooker that should be on the kitchen, was now decorated on the living room. This is why I went here to ask you about her condition. I'm starting to get worried about her." Dama ko ang lungkot sa kanyang boses.

She loves her mom. Of course! Anyone does. Isa lang ang ating ina kaya dapat natin silang ingatan kagaya ng pag-iingat nila sa'tin noong tayo ay bata pa.

"Are they steadily getting worse, or are they sometimes better and sometimes worse?" I bit the head of my pen. My habit while holding a pen. Hindi na ako magtataka sa magiging resulta ng ballpen na ito, puro ngatngat.

"Sometimes better, Doctor," she answered.

Bumaling ako paningin ko sa ginang at kinuha ang atensiyon niya. "Ahm, excuse me, Ma'am."

Agad naman itong napatingin sa'kin. She then smiled. "Yes, Doc?"

"May I know your name?" I smile sweetly.

"You're beautiful," she whispered.

Rinig kong tumikhim si Gelo sa likod. "Of course, ma'am."

Nilingon ko ito at pinandilatan ng mata. He just chuckled and continue scrolling on his phone. Muli akong bumaling sa Ginang at ngumiti.

"How's your mood? Do you feel depressed, sadder or more anxious than usual?" I asked as I readied my phone to take down notes.

"I'm fine, Doctor. Totally fine. I don't even know why my daughter brought me here." Oh, she's in trance.

I nodded my head and divert my attention to her daughter. "Based on what you've said about your mother's health this past few days, I think I already know about her condition." Huminga ako ng malalim at naglista sa isang pirasong papel na siyang magiging daan para mas mapadali lang sakanya ang hanapin ako. "Come back here on Tuesday together with your mom, of course. Then we'll be discussing about her condition."

She nodded and smile. "Thank you so much, doctor."

I just give her a nod as Gelo escorted them outside my office. Napatingin ako sa orasang nakasabit sa dingding. Humikab ako at humilig sa aking kinauupuan. After our arrival this morning, I don't have time to sleep. Gosh! Tao lang din ako na nagkakajet lag. Takteng buhay 'to. I think Pete is with his yaya on the condo. Resting together since they're also both having a jet lag.