three

someone once told me
that shooting stars
are just angels
flicking cigarettes away
before god can catch them
smoking

"You're really testing my patience, you know that?" Zach yells at me, walking around in a steady pace. his footsteps circling the room, getting closer to me. "Did you really think you were gonna get away with something like this?"

"I told you, I didn't tell anyone!" I cried, he only got angrier and closer and closer.

"I think it's time you realise what worse really is," he seethes under his breath. "What hell I can put you through, because, Sarah," his voice is low. it offered no mercy right now, and I was terrified. how the fuck did I get myself into this. I want out.

I want out.

I need out.

Help me.

"Sarah, you're such a fucking dumb ass."

Zach's palm struck me across the face, giving me a sort of whiplash as I faced him again, this time my cheek beet red as I felt hot tears start to well in my eyes. a stray one escaped.

"I'd you're gonna cry, just know, you did this to yourself, got that?" he mutters. his voice scared me more than anything ever had in my life. more than when Craig and I were younger, falling from trees. more than when Zach first threatened me. this was a whole new type of fear.

I only realised it when he struck me again, the same place, making me dizzy and the spot stung more than before.

I thought Zach was going to kill me.

And I really think he would've

if someone hadn't knocked on the door.

he gritted his teeth and stood straight up, walking to the door and opening it carefully.

"Hi, John, Craig, how-"

"Where's Sarah? She left her wallet at our house," John asks, holding up his wallet. it caught Zach off guard as he let go of the door, giving time for Craig to open it further and push past Zach to see me.

"Oh my god," Craig muttered as he looked at me. I could practically see the fire in his eyes as he turned to Zach and nearly tackled him, kicking him where the sun doesn't shine and yelling at him. "How the hell could you do this to her!"

"Craig, please!" I yell, getting up, a dizzying feeling in my head from the hits that Zach dealt on me, trying to pull my brother away from him. "Craig, you're only gonna make this worse," I cry at him. my tears burned as they rolled down the red mark on my face. John pulled me up and into his arms as Craig stopped wrestling with Zach on the floor.

oddly enough, wrapped in John's protective embrace made me feel better. safer. more safe than I'd ever felt in the past few months.

it then occurred to me, he's never really hugged me. maybe a light hug here and there, but nothing protective and loving like this one had felt.

John left me with Craig as he went back in the rooms for something. Zach was unconscious on the ground.

"Craig, what did you do to him?" I ask quietly.

"Pressure point," he replied quickly. "He'll be fine."

I nod.

John comes out with my bag, presumably with clothes in it.

"We need to get your cheek cleaned up," Craig mutters, gently tracing a finger down where he hit me. I didn't flinch when he touched me. it hurt a bit, but his intent wasn't to hurt me.

but why was I still scared?