eighteen

how are you the one that stays
even when there's nothing left

Sarah hadn't left the bedroom at all that day. John didn't think much of it, her sleep schedule was rather fucked, but she was wide awake. thinking. tired.

she wanted to sleep, but no matter how hard she tried, her eyes never seemed to stay closed. her body always seemed awake. she felt terrible and she didn't know why.

after a short while, John came in to check if she was alright, wake her up, make sure she ate something. but when he walked in, he only saw her in the dark, sitting on their bed, looking at the window.

she turned to look at him and felt hot tears start to prick her eyes. an off feeling in the pit of her stomach. like guilt. he came over and silently hugged her, wrapping his arms around her smaller frame.

after a while of sitting in the dark, Sarah reached over and turned on the lamp, illuminating the concern on John's face and the sadness on hers.

"I'm sorry," she muttered. "I'm sorry I was ever in a relationship with him."

"What? What do you mean, Sarah, you had nothing to do with that," he shook his head. "Absolutely nothing."

"But it's my fault and it's his fault and I'm such a fucking dumb ass."