six

you don't drown
by falling in the water
you drown
by staying there

it wasn't until almost two in the morning that Sarah got tired and laid down on the couch, watching John struggle with putting together the last chair to their new dining set.

she giggled lightly as he swore up and down that he'd never put together another chair ever again in his life.

she let her eyes close for a moment, soaking in the silent sounds of the new apartment after John was done with the chair, leaning against the kitchen island with a sigh.

"Sarie, are you asleep?" she hears vaguely. she hummed in response, John nodding quietly as a reply. neither of them wanted to talk that much.

waves of tiredness swept over the two souls, their new apartment barely furnished.

"John?" Sarah hummed.

"Yeah?" he replies.

"We didn't set up my bed."

he chuckles lightly, the laugh becoming more audible as it ended.

"no, no we did not," he shakes his head. "you can sleep in mine. you've slept on a couch for the past six weeks, you deserve a bed."

"exactly why you should take it, dummy," she fights back. "I've slept on a couch for six weeks, I can handle another night."

"or, you know," he starts. "you can take the fucking bed."

"or," she counters. "we could be normal adults and just sleep together for tonight."

John's face got red, and he shifted so if Sarah looked at him, she couldn't see it. "I mean, we could do that, if you were okay with it-"

"Yeah, I don't fucking care, John, we've been friends for years, I don't think we can't handle sharing a bed for one night." she sits up on the couch, looking over to John. "Come on, I'm really tired."