Chapter XXXVI

I stood there wrapped in Cain’s arms as he was in mine waiting to find out what his father had to say. I really hoped that it was something important since we had a whole lot of other things that we needed to go over. Things that I knew no one had told him. It was something that I needed to do myself and that’s why I knew that none of my friends and said a thing. Plus I had a whole bunch of information that I had found out just minutes prior to coming here. 

“For a while now I’ve been wanting to have a talk with the both of you,” Brent – Alpha Nixon – began. “I know that now it’s exactly the most opportune time to bring it up but, with the way things have been going every time I’ve tried, it’s as good a time as any. Before I get into it thought I need to ask, Kaila, at any time during the fight today did you shift?”

My brows furrowed at the randomness of the question. I shook my head and answered, “No, I didn’t. Why?” 

“You’re last heat was during Thanks Giving weekend, am I correct?”

“Yes,” I replied 

“Dad,” Cain sighed “Where are you going with this? We have other things that need to be discussed.”

“In my opinion, I believe that you might be pregnant or your wolf is preparing your body to become so.” Alpha Nixon bluntly stated. 

My mouth dropped open and I just stared at him. I wasn’t pregnant. I couldn’t be! I was seventeen years old for Christ’s sake and still in high school. I was barely halfway through with my last year, there was no way I could have a baby now! I mean, sure, you know, maybe one day. But, now? I wasn’t ready for that. Cain wasn’t, we weren’t. 

“What?” Cain breathed “But, I. . .I would have known.”

“The signs are all there son, you just haven’t picked up one them. But, how they managed to get by you is beyond me.” Brent chuckled “These last few days have been an emotional roller coaster for Kaila. Her mood swings and eating habits are just about a dead give away.”

“I think I need to sit down,” I whispered. 

Pulling out of Cain’s arm I walked over to one of the plush couches and dropped down on it. My brain was frozen. I couldn’t think. There was absolutely nothing passing through my mind, it was like a blank canvas. That’s never happened to me before, at least not as bad as it was now. What was I supposed to think though? Can anyone really think right when they find out that they might be pregnant? If they do then, they suck because I can’t think to save my life. Cain joined me on the couch and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. 

“We’ll talk about this later, we have things that need to be discussed and straightened out.” he said to his father.

“That we do son, that we do” Alpha Nixon nodded “We’ll continue this conversation after everything is squared away and everyone has gotten some rest.”

I didn’t want to talk about the situation that I had now found myself in. What I wanted to do was find the nearest doctor and demand that he do a pregnancy test. Or just go out and get a test my damn self. The latter was something that I knew wasn’t going to happen, not after the events of the day. With my luck Cain wouldn’t be letting me leave the room unless it was to go to class. Well, that is if class resumed any time soon. Classes probably wouldn’t be picking back up with in the next couple of days. There is no way that anyone is going to be able to concentrate after everything. I know I wouldn’t, especially with what I had just found out from Cain’s dad.