1: The Exiled Servant

Zhang Meihui felt like her body was set on fire. Her limbs felt like they were being ripped apart because of the pain she was feeling. She can't see anything, all that there is around her were the abyss of darkness. Is this hell? But if so, where is king Yama? And why could she still feel pain?

Suddenly, pain pulled her out of the darkness, she was instantly met with a blinding rays of sunlight and she subconsciously covered her face with her hands, as she adjusted her vision, her mind went blank instantly as she stared at the vast blue sky.

Didn't she died? She's sure she already died from that accident. Falling from the 15th floor of a building, surely, she wouldn't get a chance to survive from that fall. She was just making a living, but she didn't expected that her profession as an architect would be the cause of her death. What a shame!

As she moved her limbs and tried sitting up, her exquisite face twitched and along with a hiss sound, she was hardly able to make herself sat up from the ground.

Still confused of what was going on, she swept her gaze around her surroundings only to find out that she was actually in the middle of the road and in front of her is a huge gate. Without thinking, she jolted upwards and staggered for a second before finally balancing herself.

She already died. But is still alive and breathing. Did she, like those characters in the books she have read, transmigrated somehow? But if so, was her luck that bad to end up in this kind of situation after arriving in this world? After thinking it for awhile, her expression was somewhat complicated. She lowered her head as she looked at her two delicate and slender jade-like hands filled with bruises. Wait, why does her hands seems like that of a teenage? Is her current body that of a young girl? She inspected her clothes and found out that she was wearing a silk cloth of those from the ancient era.

Had she perhaps transmigrated to ancient China? What dynasty did she end up with? And why didn't she inherited the memories of the original owner of this body? Zhang Meihui sighed inwardly and cast those thoughts to the back of her mind as she started following the road opposite of the gate. Though she didn't inherit the memories, she was sure that this current body of her's was originally from the city behind the walls but was thrown out.

Well, since she is now the new owner of this body, she'll just make the most out of it to survive this era. It isn't that important to remember those original memories of the body, since this body belongs to her now, she will surely take care of it from now on.

An hour later, Zhang Meihui felt exhausted as her speed of walking slowed down, yet she still wasn't able to see any traveling carriage nor villages nearby. Sweat trickled down her smooth face as she wobble and finally can't take it anymore, she collapsed into the ground and fainted.

Not far from where the passed out Zhang Meihui laid, an ox cart carrying vegetables and fruits made its way towards the capital. The driver driving the cart was an old man around the age of sixty. His bearded face scrunched as he squinted his eyes when he saw something on the middle of the road.

The cart stopped abruptly as soon as the old man driving the cart saw the figure of a person. He got down to take a closer look and got startled when he saw a young girl about the age of 15 or so sprawled on the ground, she was covered with bruises all over her tender and jade-like skin. Her lips pale as though there were no blood left on her.

The old man felt a pang of pity towards the bruised young girl and without hesitations, carried the young girl inside the ox cart and dripped some water on her parted lips. After a few droplets, he then covered her with a quilt before proceeding towards the gate of the capital.