8: Wild Ginseng

The sounds of clucking of the chickens woke her up as she groggily stood up.

After she tidied the bed, Zhang Meihui went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for Xiao Wen and her.

"Xiao Wen, I'll be going up in the mountain, you should behave here and take care of the house."

A small head popped from outside the door as Xiao Wen grinned at her. He happily run to her as his eyes twinkled.

"Can I go big sis? Please."

Zhang Meihui pondered. But after she remember how dangerous the mountain is, she became firm in her decision. She shook her head as she continued her cooking.

"No. You stay here, I'll go up. It's dangerous there."

Xiao Wen felt aggrieved but couldn't do anything about Zhang Meihui's firmness.

Afternoon came and Zhang Meihui brought with her a basket before making her way up into the mountain.

After reaching the foot of the mountain, she sat for awhile and drank a mouthful of water from the gourd tied on her waist.

Several minutes passed when Zhang Meihui stood up and continued her way up.

Flinging her arms with a brass on her hands, she made her way through the thick bushes and thorny vines.

The surrounding became darker as trees loomed above her head, covering the whole forest. The sun can no longer be seen as the lush leaves and big trunks of trees covered it.

Zhang Meihui panted as she put her hands on her knees and stopped. Sweats trickles down her smooth and unblemished face, dampening her coarse linen clothes.

She scanned her surroundings but stopped a moment after with her eyes big and mouth gaped. She couldn't control her trembling hands and feet as she scampered towards the thing. She couldn't get ahold of her excitement as she neared it. Finally, she slumped down in front of it and gently but excitedly dug it out from the soil.

She couldn't believe her luck. She just found a ginseng. Not just a normal ginseng, but a hundred year old wild ginseng.

Steadying her breath, she carefully wrapped it with a cloth and gently put it inside the basket that she had brought.

She turned her gaze on her surroundings and an idea popped in her mind. She decided to explore the more and maybe she can find valuable herbs around her.

Upon thinking of this, Zhang didn't waste any more time and started walking along the forest, chopping the bushes and marking the trees to make sure she wouldn't lost her way around.