10. Planting Crops

It was already the day to plant crops. Zhang Meihui, together with Xiao Wen, started heading towards their field to plant crops. Several other villagers are also on their way with their hoes and sickles.

As she was afraid that it might hurt the little guy, Zhang Meihui was the one who was holding the sickle and a bag full of seed crops that she had bought from the town the other day.

Xiao Wen was holding the hoe with a basket in his other hand. Inside the basket are the foods prepared by Zhang Meihui for their lunch.

Old man Zhou still hasn't come back, and so the two of them are the ones to tend to their field of mu.

Arriving in the field, Zhang Meihui led Xiao Wen to a nearby pear tree and instructed him.

"Xiao Wen, you just sit here and wait for big sis to finish plowing and planting crops, okay?"

The little guy still wanted to refute but was instead glared at by Zhang Meihui that made him pursed his lips and swallow his words.

Having no choice, Xiao Wen could only nod reluctantly. Seeing as the little fellow is being obedient, Zhang Meihui patted his head tenderly before carrying the hoe and sickle on her left hand while the bag was on her right hand and headed to the field to start her work.

Plowing the field was tiresome. Sweat trickled down her chin and soaked her shirt wet as she continued plowing the field. It was already noon by the time she had finished plowing their acre of land.

Xiao Wen waved at her as she walked towards him. Picking up the gourd, she gulped large amounts of water to soften her throat. Sitting down under the tree, the two started eating the food that they had brought.

"Big sis, will you be able to finish planting crops today?"

The little guy suddenly asked as he scoop a spoonful of rice. Zhang Meihui darted her gaze towards the field and calculated.

"En. I should be able to."

Putting down the spoon, Xiao Wen paused as if thinking of something.

"Why don't I help you plant those seeds?"

Her brows knitted at hearing what the little fellow said.

"No. You just stay here and wait for me to finish it all. You're still top young to work that kind of work."

After they finished eating, Zhang Meihui went back to her work and started sprinkling the seeds unto the field. It took her only half a sichen to finish it all as their land was near the river and it was already wet.

After all the work had been done, the two packed up and walked back to the village.