13. Fragmented Dream

Sleeping in her bedroom, Zhang Meihui knitted her brows as sweat trickled her face.

Outside the house, the wind blew hard as the trees swayed back and forth. Cold wind poured inside the room through the opened window.

At the bed, Zhang Meihui kept on mumbling incoherent words. Fist tightly clenched together as if holding something.

Within the darkness, she couldn't see anything. Zhang Meihui tried calling for Xiao Wen and grandpa Zhou, but it seems like there is a force that keeps her from moving and shouting.

She couldn't hear any sound. Zhang Meihui could feel the despair that slowly seeped inside her.

She didn't know when, but the darkness gradually faded and she found herself standing inside a courtyard.

She was suddenly startled by a girl's sobs. She made her way towards the place where the sound came from, doing her best to avoid making any kind of noise.

Following the sound, she reached the garden of the Manor. Hiding herself among the bushes, she peeped between the leaves and branches and saw a girl around six sitting in a man-made rock mountain, tears streaming down her cheeks as she tried stifling her sobs.

Not knowing why, but Zhang Meihui felt that the girl was somewhat familiar. She felt like there's a string pulling her towards the girl.

Just as she was about to walk near the girl, a maid came running from one of the courtyards.

"Miss! Hurry up! Master is looking for you."

Without further ado, the girl stood up and wiped her tears with the embroidered handkerchief in her hands and hurriedly dragged the maid away, forgetting the handkerchief that has fallen into the ground.

Hesitating for awhile, Zhang Meihui walked out of the bushes and went to pick the handkerchief. Clutching it tightly in her hands, she lifted it and saw a sewn name in the bottom corner of the handkerchief.