18. Bringing A Man Back Home

The night passed morning came.

Zhang Meihui contemplated and after awhile still decided to bring the man home for awhile as his injuries are still not healed.

Making their way around, they finally made out of the dense forest and made their way towards old Zhou's house.

Zhang Meihui carefully avoided the paths in which the villagers usually take to avoid gossips.

Finally reaching the house, she brought him inside Xiao Wen's room and placed him on the kang. The man, who she learned was named Wang Shen Ying, didn't utter any sound and just looked at her silently.

Zhang Meihui ignored him and closed the door of the room before heading out.

It was already afternoon by the time the old man and Xiao Wen  went back home. After entering the house, both of them were greeted with a sight that shook their soul.

Xiao Wen only looked on curiously as he was just a child and knows nothing about the situation.

Old man Zhou on the other hand, was rigid as he went inside and closed the door with a bang.

Zhang Meihui who was in the kitchen, poked her head out. Xiao Wen, seeing that his sister was finally back, immediately ran over and hugged her calf, not willing to let go.

"Big sis, where did you go? Why did you left Xiao Wen and grandpa here all night?"

The little fellow asked without noticing the change of atmosphere between old Zhou and the man on the table.

Zhang Meihui darted her gaze between old Zhou and Wang Shen Ying before picking up taking Xiao Wen back into the kitchen.

"Big sis went up the mountain, remember?"

"Mm."

The little guy bobbed his head as he nodded.

"Big sis lost her way around the mountain and didn't know how to come back."

"Oh. Then who is that big brother?"

He tilted his head to the side, curious as to who the man he just saw awhile ago.

"Him? Big sis just happened to picked him up somewhere up the mountain."

She nonchalantly replied as she rubbed the little fellow's head.

Wang Shen Ying, who happened to hear the conversation, narrowed his eyes.

'Picked him up? Does this girl think I am like some trash that she can just pick as she says?'

Old man Zhou, who also heard it curled up his lips in mockery while still staring intently at the man in front of him.

'Who is this kid!? To have the guts to tricked my previous Hui'er into bringing him back here?'

After she was done in the kitchen, Zhang Meihui brought Xiao Wen in the living room and sat beside old man Zhou, who's face was now twisted.

Xiao Wen, seeing the twisted look on his grandpa, clutched the hem of her cloth tightly.

Zhang Meihui cleared her throat as she started to explain the situation to the old man. She decided to tell the truth, except the part where she saw the fight happened, as she was afraid that her grandpa will scold her.

Done explaining things and making it clear, the old man still wore that despised looked as he scooped some rice and unto his plate.

The tense atmosphere subsided, as they ate their food with relished.

The young general Wang Shen Ying, also didn't hesitate and gobbled up the food presented in front of him.