Christmas

I haven't uploaded in a while so here's a long chapter to make up for it. Enjoy. x 

It is a week before Christmas and the whole school is getting really excited. There are lots of decorations and it looks magnificent. Me and Sirius are both staying for the holidays, we don't exactly feel very welcomed at home right now. Our family has never really celebrated Christmas anyway, we would have a large meal and we all got one present each. Which isn't really that fun. 

All our friends are going home for Christmas, same as most of the school. James had offered to stay here with us but we both insisted that he spend it with his family. He then invited us to join his family, but we said no. It would be a bit awkward spending Christmas with people you don't know. 

Right now I'm sitting on my bed while Lily, Marlene and Alice pack their things and say goodbye. I'm really going to miss my friends even though they will only be gone a few weeks. I say a short goodbye to all three of the girls, give them all a hug, then leave to go to the boys dorms to say goodbye to my other friends. I knock once on their door and walk in. 

"Hi guys." I say and notice all four of them sitting on the floor around a chessboard. I tilt my head to the side. "Whatcha doin'?" I ask. They were supposed to be packing. Remus is sensible so I assume he is already packed, but James and Peter seem like the kind of people who would start packing at last minute.

"Playing teamed chess. Me and James, against Remus and Peter." Sirius explains. I sit down next to them and watch them play. Remus and Peter seem to be winning.
"Aren't you guys supposed to be packing?" I ask randomly.
"Nope. All three of us decided to write a letter to our parents asking if we could spend Christmas here with you guys." James says excitedly. 
"Really? So we get to spend Christmas together?" I ask looking at everyone.
"Yep, and I'm pretty sure we are the only Gryffindors staying, so we'll most likely have the whole tower to ourselves." Remus answers while smiling at me.

"This will be the greatest Christmas ever." Peter says excitedly as the boys all continue their teamed chess game. As I predicted, Remus and peter won. It was mostly due to the fact that Remus is pretty much a genius, but Peter is surprisingly good at chess. It was actually quite a close game. 

After their chess match, we decide to head downstairs to the common room. There was no one else there and it was odd how quiet it was. We sat there talking for a while as me and Sirius played a quick game of chess. It didn't last too long before I won. 

"You cheated!" Sirius yelled at me as James, Peter and Remus gave me high-fives.

"Awwww, someone sad they lost to a girl." I tease while tilting my head to the left with a look of fake sympathy on my face. I straighten up my head and smirk at my brother, who lightly punches me on the arm. 
We all talk and laugh for a while and eventually it is time for dinner. We head down and as we enter the room I notice that instead of the four house tables and one table for teachers, there is just one large table. All the teachers are sitting there along with the few students who stayed for Christmas. 

"Ah, hello!" Professor Dumbledore greets cheerfully. "As it is nearing Christmas time and there is so few of us, I think it's best that we all sit at the same table instead of sitting in the houses."

I nod and we all sit down. It feels really awkward sitting at a table with the teachers and it seems as if the teachers are feeling awkward too. Nobody at the table talked much except for when Dumbledore attempted to start conversation with everyone, which included topics that ranged from family to homework and everything in between. I just wanted to get away from the table and go up to the common room to continue reading the book I've been reading lately, but me and my friends never leave the table without each other, unless its for a good reason. I swear Sirius is eating slower than usual just to piss me off. I just sit there quietly and fiddle with my fork. Remus is giving me concerned looks that I noticed from the corner of my eyes.