Homework

We get up from the breakfast table and head to potions. We enter Slughorn's classroom and he greets the class enthusiastically. I sit next to Remus with James and Sirius at the other side of the table. Because there was only space for four at the table, Peter had to go sit at a table with other people. He sat next to a boy who I recognised as Frank Longbottom, I had spoken to him a few times and there was two Slytherins at their table. I notice Lily sitting next to Severus and Alice was sitting next to Marlene across from them.

Slughorn began the class. Today we are learning to brew sleeping draught, a potion I've read about before.
"Now can anyone tell me what a sleeping draught does?" Professor Slughorn asks and Lily's hand shoots up. "Miss Evans?"
"Sleeping Draught is a potion that causes the drinker to fall almost instantly into a deep, dreamless sleep." Lily says confidently. I'm proud to say that know-it-all is one of my best friends.

"That is correct Miss Evans, 10 points to Gryffindor." Slughorn says proudly. "Now, you will be working with the person sitting next to you. You will need to collect the ingredients stated in your books. If brewed correctly the potion should turn a dark purple colour. The instructions are on the board at the front." He waved his wand and a list of instructions appeared. "You may begin."

"I'll get the ingredients and you read over the instructions?" Remus suggests and I nod. He walks away to the ingredients cupboard. I begin reading the board, it seems simple enough. Remus returns carrying the ingredients and places them on the table. We get started on the recipe and don't speak much. Something is clearly on Remus' mind, he doesn't seem very focused. 

"You ok?" I ask. Remus looks up at me from where he was juicing a flobberworm.
"Yeah, I'm fine." He says. "Why do you ask?"
"You seem like you have something on your mind, wanna talk about it?" He opened his mouth to say something but before he had a chance to speak Slughorn came over to our desk to check our progress. 

"So far its looking good, keep it up and you might have a successful sleeping draught by the end of class." He says and moves to the other side of the table to check up on James and Sirius, he doesn't look as pleased with their progress, they have been messing around the entire period so I'm not surprised. 
Me and Remus go back to working in a comfortable silence and when class is finished we put our potion in a phial and handed it to Slughorn who looked quite impressed. We then exit class with James, Sirius and Peter. 

"What've we got next?" Peter asks.
"Defence against the dark arts with Ravenclaw." James responds, reading over his timetable that he pulled from his pocket, and we all head to class, James recklessly stuffing his timetable back in his pocket as we walk. We stand outside the class, waiting for the teacher to arrive. We don't wait for long and the teacher arrives and we enter the class and take our seats. Once again I'm sitting next to Remus with Sirius on my other side. James is sitting on the other side of Sirius and Peter is sitting on the other side of Remus.

"Welcome, class, to Defence Against the Dark Arts. This year, I will be teaching you about many dark creatures and spells you can use to defend yourselves against them. Today we are starting off with werewolves." I notice Remus shift uncomfortably in his seat but I don't question it. 

"To become a werewolf, it is necessary to be bitten by a werewolf in their wolfish form at the time of the full moon. When the werewolf's saliva mingles with the victim's blood, contamination will occur." The teacher says and the class takes notes, except for Remus who is sitting staring into space. I nudge his arm and he breaks out of his daze. 

"Are you alright?" I ask in a whisper as the Professor writes notes about werewolves on the board. "You haven't been paying attention and that's not like you."
"Yeah, just tired." He whispers back. I can tell he's lying but don't push for him to talk about it. I reluctantly turn my attention back to the class and try not to worry about Remus, which proves to be rather difficult. Eventually class is over and the teacher gives us homework due next week about werewolves.