Spring Dance

"Y/n," Lily says excitedly as she enters our shared room. "Guess what?"
"What?" 
"There's going to be a spring dance." She answers excitedly and I groan. Parties are not my thing. "You're supposed to be excited."

"I don't like parties Lily." I say and she looks shocked.
"How can you not like parties?" 

"Loud, too many people, often end in disaster. Shall I go on?"
"Come on, its a party, you need to go." She whines.
"Why do I need to go?"

"Please." She begs. "Do it for me."
"Will I need to wear a dress?"
"Well yeah, it's a formal dance."
"Then I ain't going, there is no way in hell you're getting me in a dress."
"Come on Y/n, it'll be fun." 
"Lily, I'm not going." I say and stand up to leave the room. 
"Can you please at least consider it?" She asks and I sigh. 
"Fine." I exit the room and head down to the common room where I said I'd meet Remus.

"Hi." I say wrapping my arms around his neck from behind as he was sitting down on the couch. 
"Hey." He says leaning his head back slightly so that he was closer to me. "Have you heard that there's a dance coming up?" I groan. "What's wrong?" He asks as I sit down next to him.
"Dances suck." I say and see the corners of his mouth twitch into an amused smile. 
"Nobody is forcing you to go." He says. 
"Lily is." 
"Y/n, you don't need to go, we could just relax and enjoy the quiet of the common room instead." I like the sound of that idea, there is no way that I am going to this dance. 

**********

"The dance is mandatory to all pupils fourth and above," McGonagall says and I evilly glare at her from the corner of the room though she doesn't notice me. How dare she force me to go to a dance. "Though pupils in younger years may be accompany older students to the dance. Now, today I will be teaching you all how to dance, this is an important event for the school and I would rather Gryffindor not embarrass the school by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."
I see James and Sirius try to hold back laughter.
"Mr Potter, Mr Black, if you two find this so funny, why don't one of you join me up here to help demonstrate the correct way to dance." Sirius instantly pushes James forward. "Thank you for volunteering Mr Potter." 
I smirk at him from across the room earning a glare from James. 
"Now Mr Potter, I want to you place one hand on my waist."

"What?!" James exclaims loudly earning quite a few laughs from the other Gryffindor students, me, Sirius, Remus and Peter included. McGonagall takes James' hand and places it on her waist. Sirius whistles earning a sharp glare from James. McGonagall takes James' other hand in hers and begins dancing with him, James seemed very uncomfortable. 
"Now, all of you partner up and practice what I just showed you." She says once she stops dancing with James. All the girls, except me, stand up eagerly. None of the boys move and neither do I. 

"Boys, stand up." McGonagall says and then notices me. "You too Miss Black." Remus walks over to me.
"Not enjoying this?" He asks and I playfully glare at him.
"What do you think?" I ask sarcastically.
"Come on, it cant be that awful." He extends his hand out for me to hold and I reluctantly take it. He puts one hand on my waist and holds the other. We then begin attempting to dance, standing on each others feet quite a few times. We laughed a lot throughout the whole ridiculous situation.

"I guess dancing isn't our thing." Remus says. 
"Definitely not."

**********

The dance was fast approaching and we had a Hogsmeade trip two weeks before so we had time to buy our dresses and dress robes. Lily, Alice, Marlene and I decided to go shopping together. I hate dresses so the girls all picked out a few dresses for me.