Chapter 13

JISOO

I was in bed, staring at the ceiling. The morning sun was shining brightly through the large window and I could hear the familiar sounds of waves crashing along the beach. The smell of salt was in the air as the day was promising to be another hot and humid one. I haven't slept since the night before; the night when I turned away from something that may have been really great if it weren't thrown away the first time.

The bed was empty beside me and I sighed heavily. Soojoo left to work in her shop since her full time girl called in sick. She made me coffee and told me to try to get some rest before I went to see her.

I rolled in bed and stared out at the clear blue sky. I was still thinking about her. She caused me to toss and turn yet again. I closed my eyes tightly and fought the urge to vomit, feeling sick to my stomach with nerves.

We had caught the earliest flight and managed to grab one that had no other stops. Soojoo and I talked a little afterwards but she wanted me to get some rest before getting into anything heavy.

I agreed.

I never did see Jennie again and I apologized to Irene about the brunch she was holding. She assured me that I had nothing to feel bad over and it was best because Jennie was going to be showing up anyway. She just wanted to see me happy again.

I was happy.

I just wasn't as happy as I was five years ago.

I don't remember drifting off to sleep but when I opened my eyes, I heard some noise in the other room. I sat up and stretched, running my fingers through my messy hair.

"Babe?" Soojoo poked her head through the bedroom door and smiled at me. She was wearing her blue board shorts with white designs and her matching blue bikini top. "It's beautiful in the water, we should go for a swim later." She sat on the edge of the bed and played with my fingers. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm glad I was able to fall asleep some." I offered honestly and squeezed her hands in mine. "Were you busy this morning?"

"Nah," she laughed softly, "the usual customers for a Sunday morning." Soojoo paused and smiled weakly at me. "I missed you though."

"I know," I felt bad and sighed heavily, "I think maybe after I shower and have something to eat, I'll feel better."

"How about you go hop in the shower and I'll make us some sandwiches. We can eat out on the veranda?" She got up and pulled me with her. "Does that sound good?"

"Perfect." I agreed and kissed her before heading to the shower.

/

Her room was so familiar yet so different all at the same time. I reached out only to find that her side of the bed was empty, again. It was the second time Jennie and I had made love since getting together. The first time our morning was cut short because of her friend being in the hospital. I really wanted this time to be more special.

But she wasn't in the bed with me and she wasn't in the room with a cup of coffee either. I frowned and sat up, wrapping the sheet around my chest as I looked around her bedroom confused.

Then I heard footsteps come down the hallway and the door being pushed open quietly. Jennie walked in with coffee and donuts and gave me a big grin. "Hey sleepy head," she put down the tray and climbed onto the bed with me, immediately stealing a long nice kiss. "I thought you'd never wake up," she whispered, "I know I'm good, but I had no idea I was that good."

"Ha," I snorted and pushed her away gently, smirking at her, "you know you're that good so don't even."

"Ah," she blew on her nails in a cocky manner and winked at me, "if you insist." Taking off her jean jacket, she handed me a coffee and a donut. "I thought you'd be a little hungry." She grinned sheepishly.