Chapter two

Adrien Agreste felt his heart burning when he heard Marinette's confession. Somehow he wanted to take her in his arms and hold her tight and never let her go. But all he could do was give her a pat on this familiar dark hair and tell her the ugly truth. He was in love with someone else, and it was real. He was in love with ladybug. Marinette was the first friend he made at school. She was kind, loving, caring, but Ladybug ? Ugh she was strong, reliable and confident. Little did he know how ironic this sounded. But well, there he was standing. He thought he was being kind to her, to lift the burden she seemed to carry for so long. Marinette was a friend, a fan and she saw him as his father's son, and an inspiration. That is all. She wasn't the one for him. She was smiling, or perhaps faking it. He couldn't tell. He heard Chloe and Sabrina laughing at her. "How dare you ? she said. How dare you, a baker's daughter, coming to MY ADRIKINS and telling him you love him ? Hmph poor you. You are nothing, Marinette. Absolutely nothing !"Adrien glared at his childhood friend who took her leave after her humiliating show then turned to Marinette who was still smiling.

"Marinette, I'm sorry.." he said.

" Ah... Should I know... I mean... I should've known better ahahaha... Oh well... haha I got to go !" she yelled as she ran to the bathroom.

"MARINETTE !" Alya screamed as she ran after her.The blue hair girl locked the door and sat silently on the floor.

"Marinette, are you okay ?"She heard her little kwami whispering in her ear, but she had no strength to talk back. She released a faint "I told you so" but she knew she was ought to hear tikki's lessons now.

" Don't worry Tikki, Marinette interrupted her kwami's motivational speech. I won't let hawkmoth take advantage of me. I just need to go home. Can I count on you ?"

"Of course Marinette ! Just make sure not to let any Akuma get in your way."

Marinette closed her eyes for a second and whispered under her breath "Tikki, spots on."

[08:35]

"Is Miss Dupain cheng late as usual ?"

Mrs Bustier asked as she marked the absences on her notebook.No one dared to answer, no one but Chloe of course.

"She's probably crying somewhere and hanging herself in her room."

Alya walked to the classroom and heard what the spoiled blond said. Without hesitation, she walked to her desk and slapped her so hard that the entire class went silent.

"Why don't YOU die instead, you little piece of shit? I'm sure everyone would feel happier."

"How dare you ! Chloe screamed. My father will hear about it !"

"He certainly will."

Nino stood from his place and took his girlfriend from her hand.

"Stop it Alya, that's not how you'll be helping Marinette."She inhaled and took her sit behind Adrien and Nino.

"Detention, I know." She said to her professor as she took out her history books.

[17:03]

Adrien hurried to the lockers' room and hid behind the door.

"Well that was real drama, he heard a voice behind his shoulder. I haven't witnessed such a show in a hundred years."

"plagg, we need to check on Marinette !" Adrien begged his kwami.

"We ? You mean YOU, right ? You're the one who screwed up, Kid."

"I can't show up on her front door like nothing happened ! I don't know how to talk to her after this ! Also she seemed well, didn't she ?"

"Right."

"See?"

"Boy you need to learn sarcasm for Camembert's sake."

"Please Plagg, just this time. I'll make it up to you ! Infinite cheese for a weekend !"

"A week. And you have to make sure nothing bad is happening in Paris before you go."

"deal. Plagg, claws out !"

[18:30]

"Life is not a fairy tale. Tikki. Marinette spoke as she lied down on the floor of her balcony like a corpse. That means, when your crush start liking you back, when you both meet up in the perfect time at the perfect place, when you bump into someone in the middle of the crowd and realise that it's actually him who held you back and eventually invites you for a cup of coffee, when he calls you and tell you that he misses you and that he wants to see you and when you talk about him and defend him from people's shitty talk then find out that he was hearing you the entire time, be sure that it's all happening in your head. None of these perfect scenarios happen in real life. In fact, life is a pure deception. amidst a plethora of emotions, we start creating beautiful illusions and dream about that perfect moment that will unite us with the "love of our life". And by the way, there is no such thing as "The love of your life". That myth of " love from the first sight" is an utopia for mortal. I Shouldn't have loved him Tikki. Love will only hurt you, destroy you, kill you. It will never bring you eternal happiness. If you stay with someone you love, you will eventually hurt yourself. If you stay with someone you don't, you will eventually hurt him. No matter what you'll do, you will end up in this painful vicious circle. But you already knew that, didn't you ? That's the reason why Ladybug and Cat Noir exist. The power of destruction and the power of luck.. cannot be together... Isn't it?"She took a long breath, then she continued :" The problem is, I don't feel anything. I'm not sad. I'm not angry. I'm just... empty. I should be crying by now and taking Adrien's posters off my wall. I should be eating a bowl of ice cream and watching "Man of honour" or "Your Lie in April" and just cry out. I should be calling Alya and Nino and talk to them. But no. I Can't find the words, not the strength to do all this. I need—"

"MARINETTE !" She suddenly felt a presence holding her body and lifting her on a chair.

"Chat?"

"Are you okay ? I was – doing my thing when I saw you on the floor and I thought something had happened to you."

"Hm"

"Marinette?"

"I'm fine."

"You don't look fine to me."

" I was rejected by Adrien Agreste."

"Oh."

Marinette raised her head slightly enough for her blue pearls to meet his emerald gaze.

"How did you feel when Ladybug rejected you, Chat ?"

Chat noir took one step back and laughed nervously.

"I don't know what you're talking about, princess. She did not reject me..."

"She did Chat, and you know it. She said she was in love with someone else."

"How do YOU know ?"

Marinette took a long breath before replying: "You told me Chat. You told me so when you came to my balcony that day. Remember, when Andre was akumatized."

"Oh. Right."

"So, how did it feel ?"

"It sucked."

"Well you have your answer."

"But it's different ! Chat protested. I love Ladybug for real."

Marinette finally found the strength to get off her chair, and again, it felt like Paris went silent only to listen to the loud slap on the Dupain cheng's balcony.