chapter Eight

The words she had pronounced in front of Adrien Agreste felt like daggers piercing her heart and breaking what was left of it. She didn't know what to tell him other than that. But who cares anyway ? She was the one bleeding, not him. Marinette faked a smile and joined Alya and Nino in class, leaving Adrien in disbelieve. All he had hoped for was lost. He had hope that she would at least give him a chance, but the oath she had pronounced before him was sadly not what he had expected.
She wasn't in love with Adrien Agreste.
He wasn't sure about how she felt towards Chat Noir.
She was hanging out with Luka instead.
Somehow his self esteem and all the confidence he has woken up with had collapsed.
[23:19]
"Chat ?"
Ladybug and Cat Noir's patrol was unusually quiet. She was concerned about him, not talking to her nor being the flirtatious guy he used to be when around her.
"Yes, my lady ?"
"Did something happen ?"
Chat stopped and gave her a reassuring gaze.
"Don't worry about me, I'm just... overthinking, I guess. Nothing alarming I suppose."
Ladybug stood a few inches in frond of him and rested both hands on his cheeks.
"You're not fine. Something obviously happened. Your eyes are blank, you haven't made a single pun in these four hours. Talk to me, Chat. I'm your partner."
Too close, she was too close and her hands were warm. No wonder, she was Ladybug after all. She had such beautiful eyes. Blue pearls that made his heart beat a bit faster than usual. Blue mesmerising pearls like...
"There's this girl..." Chat finally confessed. "I got to know her these last two days, when you and I haven't met. She's somehow different of how I pictured her."
"Different ?" Ladybug asked, sitting next to her partner.
"See, I always thought she'd be the shy type. I've known her as a helpful and kind soul.  I mean, remember when you were gone and she helped me fight Nathanial when he was akumatized ? She acted quite bravely. Oh, and then there was that time when she--"
He stopped talking for a moment and looked at Ladybug who was getting a little bit anxious.
"She ?"
Chat crossed hia legs and turned to ladybug as if he was about to tell an important tale.
"Once, Marinette said she was in love with me, he remembered. Her parents took me in and invited me for dinner and all. But I ended up rejecting her. Because I'm in love with you, Ladybug."
The words came out of his mouth bitterly, and he didn't know why. Usually, this confession would make him feel better, but now it only added to his pain.
" Are you in love with Marinette by any chance ?"
" No, my lady. I'm in love with you! "
" Then why do I hear a tone of pain in yoir voice, Chat ?"
She really was incredible. She always understood him the best, and she always knew what crossed his mind and what made him think. She was his girl after all.
" I'm not sure, my lady."
Ladybug stood up and waved with her yoyo.
" Guess you'll have to figure that out. Good night Kitty."
Chat Noir watched his partner leaving, and he didn't know what to think anymore.
"Oh, Plagg. What have I done?"
Ladybug landed on her balcony and transformed back into Marinette. She hutried into her room and lied on her bed. Her heart was beating fast. She felt happy, anxious, sad, angry and depressed. What was he thinking ? What was she thinking ? He really was in love with ladybug, the girl in the mask. And she was happy about it. She also was happy when she heard him talk about her, about what he sincerely thoughy about her. But then again, Chat clearly said he was not in love with her. She remembered his promise and his visits late at night. She remembered the kisses they have shared on that night. It all came back to her, and she felt her heart aching. Was it all a lie ? She didn't expect him to be in love with her, yes. But she did not expect him to think about her this way. tears came down her eyes and there she was, hugging her pillow and pressing it against her chest. Tikki watched her crying,  but couldn't say a word. It was complicated. If  only she could tell her that both boys she is tormented for were the same person.
Marinette heard the window open and felt a presence in her room.
" I really am not in the mood, Chat." Marinette hissed. " I don't want to talk."
She heard his steps getting closer to her then she felt his body lying behind her in bed.
"Neither do I, princess. I just don't want to be alone tonight. May I stay a couple of minutes ?"
Marinette turned her back to the wall, facing Chat Noir.
" what's wrong, Chat? Your voice is breaking."
His eyes widened up.
" Is it ? What's wrong with you ? Your eyes are all red."
Marinette buried her head in Chat's chest, and released a sigh burdened by unanswered questions.
"What's on your mind, Chat?"
Little did she know how conflicted he was.
" You are, Marinette" he whispered, embracing her as he rested his hand on her head. " You're all I've been thinking about for four days straight. Your bluebells, your dark hair, your soft lips, your smile, your blushing face, your angry face, your crying face, your kiss, your breath. I can't stop thinking about you, and it's killing me. I love Ladybug, but something is drawing me towards you. And I cannot understand what's wrong with me. Then again, I don't know what you think of us, of me. I don't know if your heart belongs to Adrien Agreste or to... someone else. I don't know, princess."
"Chat ?"
Chat closed his eyes and took a long breath. He felt Marinette's warmth all over his body, and he felt complete. He belonged to her, and he had no doubts.
But did she belong to him ?
"I think we need to stop seeing each other."