069 ⇾ first signs of love & matters of the heart

"Hey, Dorothy. Do you know what's been bothering Chris these past few days?"

The elder woman turned to look at the young actress, flashing her a small yet genuine smile as she shook her head in response. "I'm not too sure, doll. I think he said something about feeling a bit feverish lately. Probably just not feeling too well, which is why he's not as cheery as before."

Naomi nodded lightly, returning the smile as Dorothy scurried off to the other side of the set. Naomi knew that Chris claimed he's been feeling a little feverish these past few days but each time she offered to accompany him to the doctor's, he'd told her it was fine and that he'd monitor himself before deciding to pay the clinic a visit.

Sure, that would seem like a reasonable explanation but her gut was telling her that he's been using this as an excuse ever since they started filming again after she returned from London.

Biting down on her bottom lip, Naomi began debating with herself on whether or not she should make her way towards Chris' trailer or her own. She hasn't been able to have a proper conversation with him ever since filming commenced, save for the minor chit-chats they would both have together with the cast and crew in between takes. But after they've all wrapped up for the day, Chris would scurry off to his trailer without so much as a word to Naomi.

And the thing that had the gears in her mind churning today was the scene they just had together. Their characters---Frank and Bonnie---were having a drink at the town's bar but after one too many drinks, they'd both stumbled back into Frank's home, shared a few kisses before everything turned into regret the next day (well, sort of).

The kissing scene was the hardest to film because Chris kept asking for breaks each time they locked lips with one another, up to the point where the director himself went to check on him to see what was really bothering him.

It couldn't possibly be the so called 'fever' he was having.

Pursing her lips, Naomi forced herself to rid her mind of the thoughts and decided against seeing him in his trailer tonight since the weekend was fast-approaching. She could surprise him on Saturday and get him to have breakfast or something with her before discreetly slipping the question into their conversation.

. . . . . .

Boston, Massachusetts

"Uncle Chris, you're back!"

Dropping his hand luggage on the oak-coloured wooden floor, Chris knelt down and scooped his nephew into his arms before his niece came barreling into the living room, snaking her tiny arms around his right leg. A smile broke out on his face as he hugged his nephew close to him while his right hand rested atop his niece's head, relishing in the comfort of their hugs because God knows he needed them.

"Chris?"

"When did you get back?!"

"What the h---"

"Don't even think about swearing in front of the children, Scott!"

A chuckle inadvertently slipped past Chris' lips, his chest lightly rumbling with laughter as he gently set his nephew down on the ground before giving his niece a proper hug. Dodger was nowhere in sight so Chris assumed he was out for his daily walk with his dad.

"Aren't you supposed to be wrapping up on filming? Why are you home so soon?" Chris' mother asked, undoing the knot on her apron as she moved to give her son a hug. She could tell something was wrong because whenever Chris came home unannounced, he'd come barreling through the front door with a smile as bright as the sun, his arm wide open for his niece and nephew to run into.