:break in

DILLON MARLA JONES

CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT

We'd set up three tents and although the boys had argued for hours about who they were sharing with, Corey finally and reluctantly agreed to spoon Bobby

Bobby was not happy with this decision.

I, however, was over the moon because I had the pleasure of sharing such a small space with Kian and after our time away from each other I wanted to spend every waking minute with him.

Clingy, I know.

Jc had started a fire in the centre of all of our tents and we sat around it because the sun had recently gone down and it was getting much colder.

I sat between Kian's spread legs, leaning against him like a personal chair and he subtly played with the ends of my hair which was calming.

And I needed calming for the phone call I then proceeded to receive,

"Dillon?" Spoke Alexander through my phone, I stood from my spot round the camp fire and walked a little further into the darkness.

I waved for the others not to worry and brought my phone closer to my lips.

"Rex what's up?"

It was way too rare for him to ring just to catch up so something must've happened and I immediately panicked.

"Are you safe? Where are you?" He asked in a worried tone of voice and I looked around and laughed at my answer,

"Not too sure, I'm camping with Kian and the others. I'm fine. Why?" I scowled over towards Kian who was begging with his eyes for me to tell him what was going on.

"Thank fuck" Alexander breathed "someone broke into your house, smashed everything but didn't take anything. The police thought it looked like a kidnapping and Chandler was going out his mind"

My mouth parted in complete shock and I managed to cover it with my palm but I was still gaping.

"No one called me!" I shouted pulling my phone away just to check again and it was true I didn't have any missed calls.

"Your neighbours called the police and it was Chandler's number that you'd pinned on your fridge so they called him"

My heart began to pound and my legs started to feel a little weak, I was more confused at who would do such a thing than the damaged they'd caused.

Kian noticed my state and I haven't seen him shoot up as quick, he advanced towards me and engulfed me in a hug as I crashed into his chest.

"Who would do this?" I quivered into the phone.

"Someone who thought you were going to be home that's why we're worried, Dillon" Alexander said seriously and it scared me a little because he was usually the one who was goofy with me.

I looked up at Kian with my eyes sparkled with tears and I let one hot tear escape my eye and trail down my cheek, Kian was quick to swipe it away with his thumb and cup my face.

"Are they still looking for me, Rex?" I asked even though I didn't want to know the answer.

They, being a family I pissed off back home.

Alexander stayed silent and that's when I knew that it must've been them and I wasn't surprised but the puzzle pieces started to fit together.

"Were they looking for me at Coachella?"

It's made sense, it's why Chandler turned the Dolan twins into my personal body guards and why I had to leave so quickly

"Alexander" I said sternly which was unlike me.

"Can I speak to Kian?" He asked and with a huff I pulled my phone away from me and handed it to the boy who still held me against his chest.

After a few hums and 'I understand's he handed me my phone back.

"I love you" Alexander said genuinely and I wiped my eyes and said it back with a sad smile.

When the line went dead, my arms fell to my sides and I looked up at Kian as he sent me a sad smile. He took one of my hands in his and brought it up to his lips with a small peck he said,

"You're safe"

But truth was, I definitely didn't feel safe, not anywhere, because if I knew anything about the people who were looking for me,

they weren't ones to give up.

The others seemed concerned when I returned back to the campfire but no one actually asked probably because Kian kept giving them the eyes.

I toasted marshmallow silently and then everyone disbursed into their own tents and Kian crawled into our shared bedroom for the night.

He laid flat staring at the tent peak for a little while and I laid on my side watching him in the dim light.

"You want to talk about it?" He whispered turning only his head to make complete eye contact with me.

"Can you just-" I paused not knowing what else to say but he knew.

Of course he knew, he's my best friend.

He outstretched his arms and I shuffled into his side but instead of just staying there, I clung further on and ended up almost laid on top of him.

His fingers began to trace my back and I felt the way he pressed his lips onto my forehead softly.

"I'm gonna keep you safe" he stated and I raised my head and managed a small smile.

"I know, thank you" I reached forward and pressed a kiss onto his face but my lips were so close to his that they brushed the corner of his straight laid lips and my stomach started to explode.

I couldn't sleep afterwards,

I don't think he could either,

because by morning we were still staring at the peak of the tent trying to process our feelings.